Welcome to the forum, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: iOS->Desktop sync back

iOS->Desktop sync back 9 years 2 months ago #1094

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

Hi users,

I would like to finish the synchronization between the iOS library and the library in YACReaderLibray. I have some questions for you.

Since you can copy/cut/paste comics and folders in YACReader for iOS, what should happen if you have copies of a comic? f.e: two users using the same iOS device and reading the same comics, obviously the progress is going to be different.

I know that the right answer is to make YACReader a multiuser software, but this is not going to happen (if ever) soon.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The administrator has disabled public write access.

iOS->Desktop sync back 9 years 2 months ago #1100

skrimaging

Junior Boarder

Thank you received: 4

Personally, in my household, we have an iPad for each family member.. find it weird when people lend their iPads to others.. if the iPad had multi user support (login screen) built in, it would make sense... but currently, iPad is more of a individual device...

Therefore, syncing between YAC reader iOS and Yac Library 8.0 should rely on thinking that only one user will sync to this iPad/iPhone..

Each iPAd could sync to their respective Mac Yac Library (different user accounts on Mac)...

Hope this helps..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel

iOS->Desktop sync back 9 years 2 months ago #1103

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you for your feedback!
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

iOS->Desktop sync back 9 years 1 month ago #1119

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

Thank you received: 9

Is it possible to restrict the reading progress to one specific reading list?

You can remove the feature of duplicate comics. Then, instead of a folder for every user, like you an I have, we use a reading list for every user and attach the reading progress to it.

What do you think?

iOS->Desktop sync back 9 years 1 month ago #1120

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

Man, you find weird because you don't live in Brazil. You have no idea on how expensive any gadget with an Apple on its back is.

iOS->Desktop sync back 9 years 1 month ago #1121

Luis Ángel

Administrator

robson.sobral wrote:
Is it possible to restrict the reading progress to one specific reading list?

You can remove the feature of duplicate comics. Then, instead of a folder for every user, like you an I have, we use a reading list for every user and attach the reading progress to it.

What do you think?

I am not willing to remove any existing features, because some users will not forgive me for doing it :D So I am trying to find a solution that will work for everybody.

Thank you for your help Robson.

iOS->Desktop sync back 9 years 1 month ago #1122

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

So, keep it!

You still can keep the reading progress related to the reading list.

It can help the reader this way.

iOS->Desktop sync back 9 years 1 month ago #1123

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

You should split reading progress depending on usage. YACReader should work on a general database "per file" to keep track of progress. YACReaderLibrary should do it on a per library basis.

Thus, in a multi-user scenario, each user can create his own library and keep track of his reading there. Reading lists and labeling stuff can be created per library. When not using YACReader in client mode, we should add some conflict resolving behaviour - if there's more than one bookmark, it should ask what it should use. This should be setable to a default value by the user
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

iOS->Desktop sync back 9 years 1 month ago #1128

Luis Ángel

Administrator

selmf, reading lists and labeling ARE created by library. YACReader (desktop) already keeps a tracking of the reading progress 'per file' (when you open them from disk), but this feature is limited to your latest 200/300 comics (I don't remember the exact limit but it is there).

YACReaderLibrary 8.0 is not going to have multiuser capabilities. So I have to find something else...

In YACReader for iOS each comic is going to know its source library, so you can send back your progress to the right library.

I guess that the only way is to detect copies, and ask to the user how to do while the sync process.

iOS->Desktop sync back 9 years 1 month ago #1131

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

When I create two libraries with exact the same content and start reading a book from one of them, my reading progress is updated to the same page on both of them (I tested this). Now, if it didn't sync the reading progress, each person (not "user", multiple persons can use the same user) could create it's own library with it's own reading progress. It might be a bit of a hack and depending on the underlying not even feasible, but if it'd work it'd be a way to allow people sharing an install of YACReaderLibrary without having to change too much.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
  • Page: