Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Android App

Android App 6 years 8 months ago #3257

middle_pickup

Expert Boarder

Thank you received: 2

I have recently moved to Android, and I desperately miss my YACreader app on my mobile. Can I convince you to do an Android release? How difficult would this be? I purchased YACreader on the iOS app store, and I would gladly purchase it from the Google Play Store.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Android App 6 years 8 months ago #3258

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

I think this is already on Luis to-do list but this probably won't happen anytime soon. Despite the Appstore sales and the donations this is still a project we do in out free time, not something we can actually live off. An Android app would need to be written from scratch, there is very little in our existing codebase we could reuse.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Android App 6 years 8 months ago #3259

middle_pickup

Expert Boarder

Thank you received: 2

Dang. That's too bad to hear. I just bought my first Android phone, a Oneplus 5. I haven't found a comic reader half as good as YACreader for Android yet. :(

Android App 6 years 6 months ago #3392

invisifan

Fresh Boarder

selmf wrote:
An Android app would need to be written from scratch, there is very little in our existing codebase we could reuse.
I’m a bit surprised to hear that since Android is an *N*X fork just like iOS, MAC OSX and obviously Linux/BSD so although the system interfaces are likely quite different the base code shouldn’t be …but I’m in no position to say — and I’d really like to see an Android version myself (currently using Perfectviewer on my tablet).

Android App 6 years 6 months ago #3395

selmf

Developer

Well, the iOS app and the desktop version are completely different codebases. iOS is closed source, written in Objective-C if I'm not mistaken, desktop is written in C++ using the Qt toolkit. An Android app would need to be written in Java. We could reuse some C/C++ code from the desktop, mainly the libraries used to open cb* files and pdf, but otherwise it's starting from a clean slate. Another option would be to write a browser based client for YACReaderLibraryServer, which is something we have considered, but never got around to.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Android App 6 years 1 month ago #3733

selmf

Developer

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Link removed because possibly spam.

Android App 4 years 4 months ago #4929

kodiak

Fresh Boarder

Hello!

First thing, thanks so much for the great app, use it frequently on Linux. As for Android, I was wondering if you had heard of the Flutter SDK for native-speed cross-platform development? It could make it easy to make some future version of the Yacreader work on literally everything, with just one codebase.

flutter.dev/

I would 100% pay $10 for this on Android. Shoot, I bet a ton of us would - even if the final retail wouldn't be $10, but lower price on par with the $3 IOS price, I bet a core group of us early supporters would pledge out a price over retail to help kick start development. I think Flutter is going to be big, so it'd be a great opportunity to start using it!

Android App 4 years 4 months ago #4933

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 543

Yes I know flutter. The technologi/sdk/tools doesn't matter much (I have plenty of experience developing for Android), it is just a matter of how much time I can spend in YACReader...

I have tried, and there is code written but way far from anything I can put in the play store.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Android App 3 years 2 months ago #5780

Luv_3

Fresh Boarder

Anything near an update on this topic? Not that I expect anything anytime soon really but I'm curious whether there have been any steps towards a YACReader version for Android.

Android App 3 years 2 months ago #5781

selmf

Developer

It comes up in our dev discussions every once in a while and the possibility that an Android app could be made is taken into account for some of our technical decisions, but nothing concrete has happened yet.