Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Key to move from top -> bottom -> next page

Key to move from top -> bottom -> next page 5 years 21 hours ago #4554

antonio

Fresh Boarder

Hi. I've been trying out YACReader and I'm quite pleased. There's, however, something that would make a difference to me, and I don't think it's possible yet.

Due to poor eyesight, I tend to read my comics - which are in portrait format - in a page-width-almost-fits-screen-width mode. That means that most pages, in our 16:9 screens, will only show the top half, then I need to press 'page down' to show the bottom half, then 'arrow right' to get to the next page (which willl then correctly show its own top half). That key combination works, but isn't ideal. What I'd love would be the possibility to set a 'go forward' key that would do the following:
- if the current page isn't showing its bottom part, then move down (move the image H pixels up, where H is the visible height, if there isn't page enough left to move H pixels, then move whatever is possible)
- if the bottom part is already showing, then move to the next page

(A 'go backward' action to do the opposite wouldn't be as needed, but nothing against it, of course.)

Ideally, this would also be combined with an option to remember the zoom level for a book. As of now I have to do 'fit to page' then '195%' each time I open a book (other paper formats might require a different percent).

For me, this would vastly improve the reading experience. Currently, by having to alternate 'page down' and 'left arrow', I have to keep focused on the mechanics of the paper rather than relax. It may sound stupid to others, but having always had suboptimal eyesight and reading being one of the things I love to do, it's a delight to have books on screen and not needing a magnifier.

I've purposely not suggested to make this a default or optional behaviour of the 'next page' key, because I don't want to mess with the UX of others.

(If you'd point out how to go about implementing this in the code, I might give it a try.)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Key to move from top -> bottom -> next page 5 years 18 hours ago #4555

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

I think we have that feature. I rarely use it and I'm not sure if it is documented, but pressing the space bar when reading does exactly what you're after (i.e first scrolling down, then to the next page).
Remembering the zoom isn't hard to write in code, but adding config options to the gui is a bit of a hassle right now as the code involved has gotten rather complicated over time. This also would need to be implemented for both the reader as a standalone app as well as for the use case where you launch the comic from the library. So there is a bit more work involved ...
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Amount of old content visible after autoscroll 4 years 11 months ago #4556

antonio

Fresh Boarder

Hi. Thanks. You're right about the space bar 'autoscroll down', except for a detail: unlike 'page down', it doesn't jump to the next unread pixel, but leaves a good bit of the already read part visible. That way, when the top half of the page is visible, and I press space, it scrolls to show the bottom 1/4 of the top half plus the top 3/4 of the bottom half, requiring a second press to show just the integral bottom half. If not for this, it would be indeed what I was asking for above. I can get by with zooming out so that the screen contains the entire top half plus 1/3rd of the bottom half... then pressing space will show 1/3rd of the top half plus the entire bottom half. But that's not ideal.

I suppose what I'm asking for, then, is a way to indicate how much of the 'old' content remains visible after 'autoscroll down', in my case I'd specify 0, but if I understand correctly that would require a new setting, which would require revamping the settings UI code. I'm not afraid to edit config files, but I understand it if you prefer not to encourage that route.

Thanks.