Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: clarification of current metadata support

clarification of current metadata support 4 years 4 weeks ago #5070

brainchild

Fresh Boarder

According to information provided in a currently-active thread, support for ComicRack style metadata is a planned feature. I understand this support to mean parsing of an XML document named ComicInfo.xml and placed at the top level of a comic archive.

Currently, however, the graphical interface supports an Edit feature, which I have surmised from hints in other discussions somehow relates to conventions provided by ComicVine. Unfortunately, I have limited familiarity with this service and also cannot find any documentation on where or how ComicVine metadata is represented.

Would someone please clarify what currently happens when the user inserts information into the fields that appear from this Edit window?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

clarification of current metadata support 4 years 4 weeks ago #5071

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

We currently support importing metadata from Comicvine. This data, if imported, is then saved into the the per-library database, which is a sqlite database file located in a hidden directory in the root directory of the library you created. When you edit metadata, this gets saved to database.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brainchild

clarification of current metadata support 4 years 4 weeks ago #5075

brainchild

Fresh Boarder

Thank you for the clarification.

To summarize:
  • Metadata may be applied either by manual entry or by retrieval via the ComicVine API.
  • Metadata is stored in an external database associated with the library, not by modifying the media file.

I am glad that the application does not modify the media file, but the use of Edit for the feature name may give a misleading impression to certain users, at is suggests that editing occurs to the file containing the selected media.

In either case, I look forward to support for embedded metadata following shared conventions, such as ComicRack, as it provides a durable, portable, and convenient means to acquire and to maintain metadata.