Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: YACReaderLibraryServer Feedback

YACReaderLibraryServer Feedback 3 years 8 months ago #5321

knowhere

Fresh Boarder

Hey YACReader Team!

Long-time patron, first time poster here. Your iOS app has been a mainstay on my iPad for a few years now, the cloud integrations to source my comics was a huge value-add to my reading workflow. All this COVID stay-at-home has led to me building out a Homelab, and recently I spun up an instance of `YACReaderLibraryServer` on my NAS using docker. Overall, I'm a fan of what's been put together as it provides on its core purpose, but the librarian in me yearns for more.

Wanted to share some feedback; I have no expectations that any of this will be accepted as requirements, but sometimes ideas take seed and sprout B)
  • The community-sourced docker image I used is running an outdated version (9.5.0), which created a minor inconvenience for me when I tried to use the Mac App to get things started. While I'm thankful for community-driven support like these images, I do jump at the chance to use official images, as they can be automatically published each time a release is cut in the project
  • I wish I could automate the addition of new comics by telling the server to scan for new files every 15 mins/hour/day/week/etc.
  • When browsing from my iPad, I wish I could search across the remote library. My comics are currently organized by the week they were sourced, which turns into a guessing game. I want to reorganize them to better fit YACReader's designed org, but it's a daunting task at 4000+ comics
  • Trying to ID comics is my least favorite part of the service. This is likely in-part to the format of the file names, but again - daunting task to rename 4,000+ files. What I wish I could do is ID the comics using a cover image (hash comparison)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

YACReaderLibraryServer Feedback 3 years 8 months ago #5323

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 543

Thanks for the suggestions.

1) I agree :) The problem here is having enough to time to spend on this. The YACReader's source code repository already runs through continuous integration which takes care of building packages. The docker image creation should go there too. PRs are welcome.

2) Auto-updates are planed for future releases.

3) Also planed.

4) I don't get what you mean. Could you describe a little more the use case please?
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: knowhere

YACReaderLibraryServer Feedback 3 years 8 months ago #5324

knowhere

Fresh Boarder

I can elaborate further, although I'll conceded the feature request might extend beyond the YACReader Application boundaries.

To put in a story format:

As a User, I want to run an automated task
  • For each book (file) in my library not already assigned its ID
  • Fetch the cover image from the book
  • Run the cover image through a imageHashing function
  • Using the value from the imageHashing function, query the API for the issue resource
  • Apply the issue resource to the book

Querying the API using the imageHash is where I think this has it's limits for this discussion, but IMO that's the path to seamless sanitization of a library

YACReaderLibraryServer Feedback 3 years 8 months ago #5325

knowhere

Fresh Boarder

Absolutely,

I'll preface the details and concede that this feature likely exceeds the YACReader application boundaries.

As a User, I can run a task that:
1. For each untagged book (file) in my library
2. Fetch the cover image from the book
3. Run the cover image through an imageHashing method
4. Query an API using the hash value to return the issue record

I haven't looked into if this is even possible with ComicVine's API & my assumption is that they do not. Abstractly speaking, if an API is already serving a cover image for a given issue record, it's not out-of-reach to search using the imageHash value. That would enable the most seamless process for tagging

YACReaderLibraryServer Feedback 3 years 7 months ago #5345

knowhere

Fresh Boarder

Luis Ángel wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions.

1) I agree :) The problem here is having enough to time to spend on this. The YACReader's source code repository already runs through continuous integration which takes care of building packages. The docker image creation should go there too. PRs are welcome.

Noted, curious - what CI tool? I'm mostly GH Actions these days but I know how to RTM :)

YACReaderLibraryServer Feedback 3 years 7 months ago #5346

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

We're using Azure Pipelines, which is quite similar to Github actions if I'm not mistaken.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

YACReaderLibraryServer Feedback 2 years 11 months ago #5913

Anderson

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 2

knowhere wrote:
  • The community-sourced docker image I used is running an outdated version (9.5.0), which created a minor inconvenience for me when I tried to use the Mac App to get things started. While I'm thankful for community-driven support like these images, I do jump at the chance to use official images, as they can be automatically published each time a release is cut in the project

I know this is a very late reply, but I just wanted to let you know that I built a fork of josetesan's docker image that automatically pulls the latest version of YACReaderLibrary Server and which I try to keep up to date in terms of dependencies, etc. It's been on Docker Hub for two years now and has over 100K pulls and most people seem happy with it. Cheers!

Here is the link: hub.docker.com/r/xthursdayx/yacreaderlibrary-server-docker
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel, Faeton

YACReaderLibraryServer Feedback 2 years 11 months ago #5917

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 543

Anderson wrote:
knowhere wrote:

I know this is a very late reply, but I just wanted to let you know that I built a fork of josetesan's docker image that automatically pulls the latest version of YACReaderLibrary Server and which I try to keep up to date in terms of dependencies, etc. It's been on Docker Hub for two years now and has over 100K pulls and most people seem happy with it. Cheers!

Here is the link: hub.docker.com/r/xthursdayx/yacreaderlibrary-server-docker

Open a topic in the Linux section and I will pin it so people can easily find your fork.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\