Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Bring your own DB?

Bring your own DB? 7 years 8 months ago #2474

jakanapes

Fresh Boarder

I'd love to be able to save the Library in my own local database. There'd be a nice performance boost for larger libraries.

Poking around the source, I know that QT supports mysql and pg, which would probably be the most commonly used.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bring your own DB? 7 years 8 months ago #2475

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Hi jakanapes! Bringing you own DB is probably a bit "too much" for most of our users, so we're currently not looking into implementing this. Since you're already poking around in the source code you could try to do the necessary changes yourself. Since the code responsible for the database handling is database-independent it could be as easy as switchting the sql database driver.

This will give you a good start:

doc.qt.io/qt-5/qsqldatabase.html

The code responsible for the database creation is located in YACReaderLibrary/db/data_base_management.cpp

Happy hacking ;)
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Bring your own DB? 7 years 8 months ago #2477

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

In YACReaderLibrary most of the performance overhead comes from processing comics files and loading covers while browsing. Since there are not concurrent accesses to the data base, the performance using sqlite is good enough.

But maybe I am missing something, how do you expect to improve the performance?

Anyway, if you find any bottleneck in the access to the DB, please, let me know. It has been a while since the last time I tested the performance of the DB. I usually create a huge synthetic dataset for testing, way larger than any actual library, to be sure that the performance is fine.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\