Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Dummy needing help upgrading RPi3 to 9.5

Dummy needing help upgrading RPi3 to 9.5 5 years 2 months ago #4438

tim21

Fresh Boarder

Hi, I just cannot seem to upgrade my RPi3 server (Raspbian) to version 9.5. I had the previous version working perfectly thanks to the previous tutorial (www.yacreader.com/45-yacreaderlibraryser...aspberry-pi-raspbian). I have tried following a couple related forum threads on upgrading, but I'm not such a techie and a total Linux noob. Please bear with me; I realize this might be rehashing other conversations.

I git cloned the updated repository successfully. But I am not sure what to do from there. If I try following the old tutorial and "qmake YACReaderLibraryServer.pro" but I get an error saying "you need at least QT 5.6 to compile". A quick Google search seems like this is not a straightforward process to upgrade. Maybe it is?

More generally, I do not know how to remove the old instance. Is this even required or if I successfully install 9.5, will it overwrite the previous version? Again, noob question :(

Thanks in advance. I love the headless server but I haven't been able to run it since the latest update.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dummy needing help upgrading RPi3 to 9.5 5 years 2 months ago #4439

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Ok, the first thing you should do is upgrading your Raspbian installation to the latest stable version ("stretch"). That should take care of the "you need at least QT 5.6 to compile" error.

Now, to remove the old version of YACReaderLibraryServer (this is a little dangerous, make sure to double-ckeck these commands!!):
sudo rm /usr/bin/YACReaderLibraryServer
sudo rm -r /usr/share/yacreader

This will not remove your configuration and library files as those are located in a different location.

Newer versions of YACReaderLibraryServer also install a systemd service, but we probably won't need to remove this in your case.

IMPORTANT!!! When building the newer version of YACReaderLibraryServer DO NOT run "sudo make install"! Installing software outside of a systems package management is considered bad practice and doing that (by following the instructions) is what brought you into the situation of needing to manually remove it.

Instead, I recommend to do this:
sudo apt-get install checkinstall
sudo checkinstall -D make install

This will wrap the install command and create a .deb package which you then can install.

Last but not least, the installation instructions for the headless server are a bit dated, so your mileage may vary. Don't hesitate to ask for help ;)
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Dummy needing help upgrading RPi3 to 9.5 5 years 2 months ago #4440

tim21

Fresh Boarder

Thank you for the reply. I followed your advice and my server is not updated to version 9.5. But on my iOS device, it gives the error 'Could not connect to server'.

I'm not sure if my server is correctly running. The command "YACReaderLibraryServer start" initiates to a final line of "YACReaderLibraryServer starting" but it just stays there and does not return to an input prompt. I am not sure if this is normal.

Any additional suggestions? Thanks again.

Dummy needing help upgrading RPi3 to 9.5 5 years 2 months ago #4441

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Yes, that is normal.

There are two ways to deal with this, depending on how you want to run the headless server.

The first way is to run it in background, you can do this like this:
YACReaderLibraryServer start &

The "&" at the end tells the shell to run it in background.

Or you could use the systemd service file we provide. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:

github.com/YACReader/yacreader/blob/mast...emd_instructions.txt

As you installed the headless server as a package on your system, you can skip the first two steps and start with step 3.

The first way is good for testing, the second way is good if you want something a bit more robust and permanent.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by selmf.