Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: YACReader suddenly wont open any comics

YACReader suddenly wont open any comics 2 years 8 months ago #6190

KlingonFrenzy

Fresh Boarder

I've been using YACReader for a few years now, but all of my comics now read "Format not supported." All of my comics are in .CBR format. But these are the same exact files I've been successfully using in YACReader for years. I honestly haven't a clue what could cause this, so I am sharing here in hopes of getting help.

YACReader: 9.8.2-1 (Installed from AUR)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

YACReader suddenly wont open any comics 2 years 8 months ago #6191

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

Check if the files that are failing are RAR5, if so you will need to compile YACReader using p7zip instead of unarr. Maybe you were using a version linked to p7zip before... (?)
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: KlingonFrenzy

YACReader suddenly wont open any comics 2 years 8 months ago #6192

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

I don't think his files are RAR5. He clearly wrote he uses the AUR package which comes with unarr.

I can't reproduce your problem, but experience has taught me that in such cases for Arch Linux users there is a high chance that the latest update or some uncommon variants of common packages from the AUR are responsible.

My recommendation would be to first check if your files are still OK and if that is the case, verify your build of the libunarr package and YACReader in general.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

YACReader suddenly wont open any comics 2 years 8 months ago #6194

KlingonFrenzy

Fresh Boarder

selmf wrote:
I don't think his files are RAR5. He clearly wrote he uses the AUR package which comes with unarr.

I can't reproduce your problem, but experience has taught me that in such cases for Arch Linux users there is a high chance that the latest update or some uncommon variants of common packages from the AUR are responsible.

My recommendation would be to first check if your files are still OK and if that is the case, verify your build of the libunarr package and YACReader in general.

Yea this is an odd problem for sure, and I was thinking similarly. I've checked those packages and they all seem to be good. Should I try building manually beyond the AUR?

Also, would converting to .CBZ potentially work around this? I honestly have no file preference so I can cook up a quick script to convert all my comics and call it a day lol

YACReader suddenly wont open any comics 2 years 8 months ago #6195

KlingonFrenzy

Fresh Boarder

I've looked at my files, they are all RAR5 - so this is likely the culprit. What should I look for to learn how to compile YACreader with p7zip? Apologies for my ignorance - I've not used linux as a daily OS in many years so I'm having to relearn everything I've forgotten!

Thank you for stopping to assist though!

YACReader suddenly wont open any comics 2 years 8 months ago #6196

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

The build process using p7zip is a little more complicated. You need two things - source code for p7zip 16.02 and shared libraries which match the source code. The source code has to be renamed and put to the right directory in the source tree. Then you need to activate the build with p7zip using the correct qmake config switch. This is all explained in our documentation in the source code.

To actually use p7zip 16.02 without conflicting with p7zip's newer Arch Linux package, you need to install the p7zip libraries under /usr/lib/yacreader, make sure you install both 7z.so and the 7z's rar codecs. These are not being built by our build system, so you need to find another way to obtain them.

The whole process is not really packaging-friendly, which is one of the reasons we use unarr in YACReader for Linux, but I am considering providing an AUR package for this, given that the demand for this build variant is rising.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

YACReader suddenly wont open any comics 2 years 8 months ago #6197

KlingonFrenzy

Fresh Boarder

selmf wrote:
The build process using p7zip is a little more complicated. You need two things - source code for p7zip 16.02 and shared libraries which match the source code. The source code has to be renamed and put to the right directory in the source tree. Then you need to activate the build with p7zip using the correct qmake config switch. This is all explained in our documentation in the source code.

To actually use p7zip 16.02 without conflicting with p7zip's newer Arch Linux package, you need to install the p7zip libraries under /usr/lib/yacreader, make sure you install both 7z.so and the 7z's rar codecs. These are not being built by our build system, so you need to find another way to obtain them.

The whole process is not really packaging-friendly, which is one of the reasons we use unarr in YACReader for Linux, but I am considering providing an AUR package for this, given that the demand for this build variant is rising.

I appreciate the help! I've given it a shot but had no success (as in I couldn't successfully pull this off) - so I've gone for the easy route and just ran a script to convert everything to .CBZ since itll make my life easier. Everything is working as expected now, so the problem was definitely in regard to RAR5. Understandable why y'all stick to unarr lol