Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: SOLVED-using usb drive to store comics gives issue

SOLVED-using usb drive to store comics gives issue 9 months 1 week ago #7699

sekii

Fresh Boarder

Hello

first off, i'm a new linux user trying out Proxmox so sorry if i don't give enough details but feel free to ask. I'm also not english native so might not use proper wording.
i'm using MXlinux 21 under proxmox and installed yacreader threw flatpack.

My comics are stored on usb drive. When i try to create a library, it starts scanning files fromm usb drive then i get a "driver not loaded" error. trying to delete library but it only close yacreader and when i open it again, i got message, library is missing and ask for delete. if i say yes, it just close yacreader and i get same message when i open again yacreader.

concerning "driver not loaded" issue, i tried to copy files to internal disk, created a new library and everything went fine. So my question is: am i doing something wrong or is yacreader not able to create library from usb drive?

concerning missing library issue, i try to reboot but didn't change anything and don't what else to do

thanks in advance for any help
Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by sekii.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

using usb drive to store comics gives issue 8 months 5 days ago #7799

sekii

Fresh Boarder

If someone had success building a library with comics stored on external HDD please let me know.
And if you did, please tell me on what Linux distributions and which method you used to install yacreader.
Thanks in advance

using usb drive to store comics gives issue 8 months 5 days ago #7800

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

How is the drive mounted? It seems to me that the app can’t write the needed files for a new library in your disk.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: sekii

using usb drive to store comics gives issue 8 months 1 day ago #7814

sekii

Fresh Boarder

Sorry for late answer and thanks for your input
It actually auto-mount itself, disk show up in Thunar as soon as I plug it in.
I'm not at home at the moment but will look at drive write access to see if that can be an issue, will report back when done.
Have a great day

using usb drive to store comics gives issue 8 months 1 day ago #7815

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Hi,

this is actually a simple problem. Flatpak, by design, sandboxes apps and permissions to directly access the filesystem need to be given. By default, the YACReader Flatpak ships with permissions for access to /home, but not the directories where removable media is automounted.
Possible solutions:

1. Give YACReader more permissions, some ways are described here: askubuntu.com/questions/1086529/how-to-g...ccess-to-a-directory
2. Just copy everything to your home directory
3. Wait for a new version of the Flatpak, I'm looking into adding removable media to the permissions by default
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

using usb drive to store comics gives issue 8 months 1 day ago #7817

sekii

Fresh Boarder

Thanks a lot,
For now, I did copy my comics to home directory as my collection isn't that big but it's growing fast so will look at option 1 mentioned to see if I can make it works, and if I can't, will wait for option 3.
I'm not at home but will give feedback next weekend.
Have a great day and thank you for your reply

using usb drive to store comics gives issue 7 months 3 weeks ago #7834

sekii

Fresh Boarder

so, i installed flatseal and added permissions to my comics directory as described on your link but i'm still having issue when trying to create library from usb drive (start scanning maybe 50-70 ich comics then i got "driver not loaded" error).

I noticed usb drive permission was set to root so i gave user ownership by doing
sudo chown username:username '/media/username/bd'
(bd is my usb drive name)

but still no luck...

If you think about something else i can try, please let me know

using usb drive to store comics gives issue 7 months 3 weeks ago #7836

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

I have recently added permissions for common locations for removable media to the Flatpak, so you might want to try again.

Otherwise, you probably should make sure that you set access permissions recursively (i.e. use the -R option of chown) so that all files and directories under /media/username/bd are accessible.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

using usb drive to store comics gives issue 7 months 3 weeks ago #7840

sekii

Fresh Boarder

many thanks for your help

I first tried added permissions recursively but didn't make no change, so i updated flatpak yacreader. At first it didn't worked but after removing added permissions (the one, i have added) threw flatseal it works :)

again, thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.