Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Update Prompt

Update Prompt 6 years 6 months ago #3385

Huisie

Fresh Boarder

I am using the portable version for Windows (6.5.3).

Every time I open YACReader, I get an update prompt.

Is there a setting or tweak whereby I can turn off the update prompt, please?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Update Prompt 6 years 6 months ago #3386

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Uh … there used to be a setting you could add to the config file, something like

"NUM_DAYS_BETWEEN_VERSION_CHECKS=number"

No idea if this works in 6.5 and where the config file is located in the portable app. Search for "YACReader.ini". Why are you still using this obsolete version?
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Update Prompt 6 years 6 months ago #3398

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 543

Huisie wrote:
I am using the portable version for Windows (6.5.3).

Every time I open YACReader, I get an update prompt.

Is there a setting or tweak whereby I can turn off the update prompt, please?

The portable version is mostly abandoned, fixing it shouldn't be too much work, but I never find time for doing it. Why did you choose the portable version?
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Update Prompt 6 years 5 months ago #3401

Huisie

Fresh Boarder

Thanks for getting back to me, selmf and Luis. Apologies for not responding sooner, been a bit snowed under at work and home.

To Luis:
I use the portable version because I only need a comic reader and, for this role, it performs adequately. I used to use CDisplay and tried CDisplayEX - not happy with the EX version's attempts to hijack my PC.

With portable apps, I can set them up and load them in PortableApps.com, then keep it in sync (via OneDrive) on each of my PCs. So, like now, where I am loading up Windows 10 Fall Creators Update as a clean install, I don't have to install and set up all the apps loaded into PortableApps.com.

I keep hoping you will revisit the idea of releasing an updated portable version, but I understand you are a bit busy ... thank you for what you do manage to do.

To selmf:
Thanks for the tip - would I apply that to the YacReder.ini file or the YacReader.conf file, please?

Update Prompt 6 years 5 months ago #3402

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Actually I don't know. I started using Yacreader with 7.1. You can try both. BTW you can help us being a little less busy by testing the current beta of 9.0.0. The sooner we have a release the sooner we have time for other stuff
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Update Prompt 6 years 5 months ago #3411

Huisie

Fresh Boarder

Hi, Selmf

Thank you for getting back to me again. Apologies for the late reply.

I added the line to both the .ini and .conf files - nothing broke and the prompt has gone away, so thank you very much for that.

To Luis - thanks for taking the time to write and for all the hard work producing this app.