Welcome to the forum, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: AVIF support

AVIF support 2 years 1 month ago #6625

x412sph

Fresh Boarder

Hi, do you have plans to add AVIF support in the pipeline?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

AVIF support 2 years 1 month ago #6626

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

Yes, but for now I will wait until Qt adds support for it.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

AVIF support 1 year 7 months ago #7092

gen2brain

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 1

For all users who want to try AVIF right now, you can just install github.com/novomesk/qt-avif-image-plugin, it is easy to compile on Linux, so YACReader and all Qt apps that use image plugins will just work. There is also .dll for Windows in releases but I didn't try that (not sure if it is statically compiled).

The results are impressive, for example, the 75M file is down to 30M, without any difference in image quality. If I resize the comic to 1280, which I usually do, it is down to 15M! The only downside is that it is painfully slow to encode to AVIF. I used my converter here github.com/gen2brain/cbconvert to convert some comics. I plan to do that for my whole collection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel

AVIF support 1 year 7 months ago #7093

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

Thank you received: 9

I'm not sure AVIF deserves so much interest. I've been testing it against JXL and this is waaaaaaaay better!

Give it a try, @gen2brain.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by robson.sobral.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vagab0nd

AVIF support 1 year 7 months ago #7094

gen2brain

Fresh Boarder

Thanks, I will try. For some reason, I thought JPEG XL is JXR, but it seems JXL and JXR are different formats, I had no idea. From the articles, I could find AVIF produced smaller files than JXL so I didn't bother. There is also a Qt plugin from the same author here github.com/novomesk/qt-jpegxl-image-plugin, for JXL.

The problem is I don't see any support, not even a library in my distro, there is no Qt plugin, bindings for Go etc. AVIF I can use right now.

AVIF support 1 year 7 months ago #7095

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

Oh, JXL is great. In my tests, I've got smaller sizes using JXL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vagab0nd

AVIF support 1 year 6 months ago #7159

momoe

Fresh Boarder

I've recently discovered this format and have been running compression tests. and I wholeheartedly endorse this format, the quality/size ratios are ridiculous.

AVIF support 1 year 6 months ago #7165

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

Sadly, AVIF is slow to compress, RAM intensive to open and errors on conversions are common.

AVIF support 1 year 5 months ago #7228

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

I just made some tests using a folder with 361 files, mostly of them black and white and a lot of them painted, and found interesting results.
original JPGAVIFJXL - transcodedJXL - recompressed
plain files674 MB188 MB413 MB243 MB
zip653 MB188 MB413 MB243 MB
rar648 MB188 MB413 MB243 MB
7z642 MB188 MB413 MB243 MB

For AVIF, it's format 444, at speed 5 and quantization for color and alpha on 63.

For JXL, there's
  • a version just transcoded, no recompression, to make an original file and the JXL version look exactly the same
  • a version with quality 80 and compression 7

I used the default settings on XnConvert, instead of looking to match their quality between different files. I could try to fine tune the JXL options to match or improve the quality and size compared to AVIF, but it would required some time. Given that, I think to transcode JPEG to JXL is the safest option: you free a lot of MB and lose no quality or time testing configurations file by file or battery charge decompressing AVIF.

AVIF support 1 year 5 months ago #7230

gen2brain

Fresh Boarder

It looks like the "industry" has decided to deprecate JXL www.phoronix.com/news/Chrome-Deprecating-JPEG-XL in favor of AVIF. Without support from major players, JXL can end up the same as JPEG 2000.
  • Page: