Welcome to the forum, Guest

• Page:

TOPIC: Rename Files

Rename Files 8 years 11 months ago #1332

kerkness

Fresh Boarder

Disclaimer.. I have not played around a lot with the library yet so perhaps there is already a methodology for this situation (I'm currently trying out the beta build).

My files are a mess and not everything uses the same naming conventions. Some series are in folders with the series names and some are in folders by release date and some are not even in folders.

Can YACReaderLibrary physically rename and move my files into folders based on Tag/Details that I have either entered myself or downloaded from Vine?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Rename Files 8 years 11 months ago #1335

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

No. Probably the first feature implemented about this would be renaming file names inside a folder based on tags or any custom format.

Renaming folders and moving everything based on tags is more complicated, I am not sure about it right now. Maybe the best way should be to have a virtual way for browsing your collection based on tags.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Rename Files 8 years 11 months ago #1336

kerkness

Fresh Boarder

Yeah. I can appreciate the complexity of creating folders ect and moving files.

From an architecture and feature standpoint the ability to browse a collection based on tags seems like a smarter and better approach all around. I used to use ComicBookLover and I liked it because I could just dump files all into one root folder, scan the folder and then decide how I want to organize things. But it doesn't have any integration with Vine which is extremely useful as manually managing details is time consuming.

Like I said I'm new to YACR so I don't know what you all have going on from an architecture standpoint. There are a number of NoSQL options that would be ideal for building a local index of all a user's Series and Issues which can then be used to provide a navigation tree.

Just some thoughts. I hadn't really looked at the digital comic management options for several years and it looks like YACR is by far the best tool out there.

Rename Files 8 years 11 months ago #1337

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Improving the sorting capabilities of YACReaderLibrary is definitely a better approach than expanding it to a fullfledged filemanager.
There are a number of NoSQL options that would be ideal for building a local index of all a user's Series and Issues which can then be used to provide a navigation tree.

If you feel like doing a bit of hacking or have some concrete ideas, feel free to contribute. YACReader could definitely use some more developers :)
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Rename Files 8 years 11 months ago #1339

kerkness

Fresh Boarder

A definite possibility. My particular skill set is on the OSX or iOS side of things and I do a lot of development on web API systems. I'm also hopelessly addicted to collecting comics (digital and books).

Rename Files 8 years 11 months ago #1340

selmf

Developer

I think I also speak for Luis when I say we'd be glad to have you. Web api or rather a proper web interface for YACReaderLibrary is something we will have to implement for the future server only versions. Also, having one more person that's able to run debug sessions on OSX really would help to reduce the load of supporting three platforms on Luis.

The best approach is probably if you talk to Luis directly and share some of your ideas or ask for things that need fixing :)
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Rename Files 8 years 11 months ago #1349

Luis Ángel

Administrator

@kerkness, is nice to see another developer around here :)

Let me know if your are interested in contribute in any way. I really love to have selmf contributing, and it would be awesome to share the development with more people.

I am a Windows user, and selmf (Felix in the repository) works with Linux, OSX is always the version with less attention. That doesn't mean that I am not putting love on it, because it even has its own look for a better fitting into the OSX ecosystem, but I don't have enough time for polishing it (Some Qt bugs don't help :angry: )

YACReaderLibrary is using sqlite, I only have experience with Cassandra and MongoDB in the NoSQL side, I know that MongoDB can be used in a serverless way, but I am not sure if it could be the right choice here. I would like to hear about any lightweight-serverless alternative.

@selmf, your really look eager for more developers :cheer:
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Rename Files 8 years 11 months ago #1351

selmf

Developer

:cheer:

Well Luis, I clearly remember you writing something among the lines of "Where are all the open source developers???" in a moment of frustration because YAC* got more and more complicated. And yes, I *am* eager to keep my hands clean of the database management part in YACReader :s

Rename Files 8 years 11 months ago #1353

kerkness

Fresh Boarder

I've used sqlite, rolled my own simple json db and used Mongo, Couchbase. A nice option for apps that are cross platform is Couchbase Mobile but hey, let me poke around more with what you already have in place and see where I can help.

Easy for me to do some solid debugging on osx and ios. Luis you sent me an invite to testflight earlier today. That's one of my work emails and is also my gmail and messenger address. You can email or message me on that address. Is the osx source code on github or anywhere else? My username for github is kerkness. I also use Slack a lot for chatting.

Rename Files 8 years 11 months ago #1356

Luis Ángel

Administrator

The source code of the desktops version is in Bitbucket, I am one of those few who prefer Mercurial over Git, but I also use Git because of Xcode.

It seems that Slack is becoming more and more popular, I will give it a shot. In the mean time we can use gmail.

EDIT: is this your email? r**************neart.com If not, please, use the contact section of this web, in the bottom there is a link with my personal e-mail in gmail.
Last Edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Luis Ángel.
  • Page: