Skip to content
YACReader
Help and support for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users.

Continue Reading... I am not a fan.

  • dottore della peste
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4181 by dottore della peste
Continue Reading... I am not a fan. was created by dottore della peste
I haven't really used the app in a while, but it auto-updated since the last time I read a comic. I am really not a fan of the new continue reading bar across the top. While I think it could be a good option, having it forced on your users is a mistake in my opinion.

One example as to why would be multiple users on the same iPad. I don't really want to see what other people have been reading when looking for a comic I was wanting to pick up. It is just clutter in that case.

Another example would be the potential for inappropriate content being seen by minors. I personally enjoy many darker comics with violence and nudity, such as image, vertigo and dark horse titles, but I wouldn't even want my twelve year old highly christian niece seeing the covers of comics like Saga (issue #3 has a ghost of a girl ripped in half at the torso), Sex Criminals, Walking Dead, Preacher (#5 is of a person's face skin removed)... Even Maus has a swastika on the cover. Up to now, I have kept my comics organized by folder and that has kept the inappropriate covers away from young eyes, but opening this app after the update has the entire top bar full of nudity and violence.

I believe a good way to get around these problems would be to allow users to turn it off completely, or have it load as a minimized bar across the top that the user can click to expand if they want. It would also be nice to have an option (maybe by swiping down on the comic in the continue reading) to remove a comic from the continue reading window without having to delete the comic off the ipad. Another possibility would be to create a "nightstand" section that acts like a continued reading, but where users choose to add the title/series to the list rather than it being forced on them.

I bought this for iPad and have been happy with it for years, including recommending it to a number of people who also purchased it for their own mobile, but if this is going to end up as cluttered and awkward as xbox's UI, I don't think I will be recommending it moving forward.

Thanks for the time,
-d

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • dottore della peste
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #4222 by dottore della peste
Replied by dottore della peste on topic Continue Reading... I am not a fan.
Anything?
Does the devteam read these posts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #4223 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Continue Reading... I am not a fan.
There will be new settings to disable these views in the next release: 3.1

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • dottore della peste
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #4226 by dottore della peste
Replied by dottore della peste on topic Continue Reading... I am not a fan.
Awesome!

I appreciate it. Will there be an option to minimize/expand it between just a bar and an open list? Is it possible to request functionality where you can pull titles from the list for titles you read, don't want to delete from your tablet? It might also be nice to have an option to select how many max titles you would like shown in that list.

Thanks again,
-d

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Luis Ángel
Powered by Kunena Forum

Thanks for downloading YACReader!

Your download is starting.

YACReader for iOS and Android

Connect to YACReaderLibrary to browse, read remotely and import comics. Your reading progress is synchronized across devices.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Available at Amazon Appstore

Discover all the features on the iOS and Android pages, and learn how to use them in the iOS and Android user guides.

Support YACReader

YACReader for desktop and server is free to use, but it is not free to develop: maintaining this website, developer programs, code signing certificates, test devices and, of course, all the time it takes. Less than 0.01% of downloads end in a donation, so any amount counts.

By supporting the project you help keep it regularly updated and, most importantly, alive. Thanks!