- Posts: 8
- Thank you received: 0
Help and support for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users.
Confusing size of pdf files
- Melmoth
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
5 years 11 months ago #5481
by Melmoth
Confusing size of pdf files was created by Melmoth
Hi,
Bit confused - just installed YACREADER on my IPAD and its size was roughly 300mb - I then imported some pdf comics with a size of 750mb - however when I look on my ipad storage I see 2.8 GB! I have nothing else on my YACRREADER. Can anyone tell me how this can be?
Bit confused - just installed YACREADER on my IPAD and its size was roughly 300mb - I then imported some pdf comics with a size of 750mb - however when I look on my ipad storage I see 2.8 GB! I have nothing else on my YACRREADER. Can anyone tell me how this can be?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
5 years 11 months ago #5482
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Confusing size of pdf files
PDF is not the best format for comics, YACReader prerender the pages of the PDFs files while they are imported, the size you are seing is exactly that, the render of the PDF files.
I am going to add a setting to improve this, but it will only work for pages embeded in the PDF as images (which should cover most of the cases).
I am going to add a setting to improve this, but it will only work for pages embeded in the PDF as images (which should cover most of the cases).
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Melmoth
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 8
- Thank you received: 0
5 years 11 months ago #5486
by Melmoth
Replied by Melmoth on topic Confusing size of pdf files
Many thanks - all is now clear. Again, an excellent app which has given me much pleasure.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- comic_fan
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 5
- Thank you received: 1
3 years 9 months ago #7315
by comic_fan
Replied by comic_fan on topic Confusing size of pdf files
Hi, any news on this ? I just transferred my comics collection from chunky to yacreader , and while with chunky it was 26gb, in yacreader it now takes 41GB ! I have very limited space , what can I do ? Will there be improvements on storage?
Did you already optimised images scans PDF?
Did you already optimised images scans PDF?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #7316
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Confusing size of pdf files
There is a setting in Settings -> Other -> PDF, is it enabled?
How did you import the comics? That setting only works while importing, but it does nothing if you import from YACReaderLibrary.
I really dislike pdf for comics, because most of the times it is just a bunch of images in a pdf, so it doesn’t really make any sense. But I guess I need to bite the bullet and implement on demand rendering for pdfs…one of these days.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
How did you import the comics? That setting only works while importing, but it does nothing if you import from YACReaderLibrary.
I really dislike pdf for comics, because most of the times it is just a bunch of images in a pdf, so it doesn’t really make any sense. But I guess I need to bite the bullet and implement on demand rendering for pdfs…one of these days.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Luis Ángel.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
3 years 9 months ago #7317
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Confusing size of pdf files
If you don’t have much space you can also try to read remotely from YACReaderLibrary.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: comic_fan
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- comic_fan
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 5
- Thank you received: 1
3 years 9 months ago #7320
by comic_fan
Replied by comic_fan on topic Confusing size of pdf files
it is enabled, should i disable it ? will it make PDF reading much slower ?
i imported the comics from chunky (locally on ipad ) , but otherwise i'll import using yacreaderlibrary and keep the setting on
yeah i prefer CBZ as well but many people (me included) have most of their collection in pdf . I could try to convert them ig
oh yeah maybe some day haha, no need to apologize
thanks
i imported the comics from chunky (locally on ipad ) , but otherwise i'll import using yacreaderlibrary and keep the setting on
yeah i prefer CBZ as well but many people (me included) have most of their collection in pdf . I could try to convert them ig
oh yeah maybe some day haha, no need to apologize
thanks
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
3 years 9 months ago #7322
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Confusing size of pdf files
The setting should be on, if it was on and you imported directly from your iPad then that’s the better the app can do so far.
Do you have any books among the files? or any file with many pages? it is probably some specific files…
Do you have any books among the files? or any file with many pages? it is probably some specific files…
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- comic_fan
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 5
- Thank you received: 1
3 years 9 months ago #7325
by comic_fan
Replied by comic_fan on topic Confusing size of pdf files
It is on
I tried to import the files both from yacreader library AND from ipad local storage , and in both cases it was too big (8gb files transforming into 13gb in yac)
When I’ll have time I try to see if any specific file is the issue , to help you debug this down .
I don’t have book, they are all comics . 40 pdf scanned images comics , and 5 cbz
In chunky or even in yacreader for Mac (yacreader library) they obviously take the storage that’s indicated by right clicking on folder , aka 8gb
I tried to import the files both from yacreader library AND from ipad local storage , and in both cases it was too big (8gb files transforming into 13gb in yac)
When I’ll have time I try to see if any specific file is the issue , to help you debug this down .
I don’t have book, they are all comics . 40 pdf scanned images comics , and 5 cbz
In chunky or even in yacreader for Mac (yacreader library) they obviously take the storage that’s indicated by right clicking on folder , aka 8gb
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Luis Ángel