Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: [3.20.0] New swipe up from screen edge

[3.20.0] New swipe up from screen edge 2 years 3 weeks ago #6670

tx3k

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 1

Hi Luis, first post so before any requests: thanks for your work creating this app!
I've used most of the iOS reader apps over the years, and YAC is definitely a favorite.
The biggest plus is that it is reliable and fast. No visual or input lag, everything feels stable, no issues with rendering or anything else.

For context - I'm reading books and magazines (cbz, pdf) on iPad (latest os) and my layout is always 2-page spread. (Matching the height when 2-page spread is another great visual feature!)
For books the reader is never zoomed in, for magazines typically zoom in to read a section then zoom out to continue next page.

My question / request is about the change with swipe-up to display the page navigator ("Go to page" view) in 3.20.0. I use the page viewer feature a lot - for magazines it's a great way to browse, easy to see all the double-page features etc. It's perfect, and again - fast, no lag.

But I also use the iOS Dock a lot by swiping up from the screen edge inside apps and this new feature frustrates that in a couple of ways: even zoomed out you cannot swipe up from the screen edge to bring up the dock, it has to be swiped twice and iOS will often dump you to the home screen if that second swipe is too 'fast'.

As a side note, I think it also affects "Quick Note" (swiping from the bottom right corner since ios15). I don't use the feature, but it has similar user experience problems now.

Because my reader is almost always never zoomed I've never had any problems, but I can see you are fixing an issue for people who are zoomed in or single-page full-width in landscape.
I do not develop apps, but are you able to query for example: if zoom > 1 enable your screen edge gesture override, otherwise keep system gestures? If not, maybe a setting to disable the screen edge change?

Thanks for considering and thanks again for the excellent work!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

[3.20.0] New swipe up from screen edge 2 years 3 weeks ago #6671

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 543

Did you check the reading settings? There is an option for disabling this behaviour. I thought about the zoom level and enable disable the edge gesture based on that alone, but it was confusing as people usually develops muscle memory for this kind of gestures, so I added a setting for disabling it.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: wzjjj, tx3k

[3.20.0] New swipe up from screen edge 2 years 3 weeks ago #6672

tx3k

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 1

Totally missed it! I was looking in the main settings area, not the reader settings. Just changed the "Enable bottom edge..." setting and it's working as before.
Sure this will help many users, but I really appreciate the inclusion of these settings to customize/revert. It seems to be part of your design philosophy (from a few years using the app and browsing the forums) so you might not think it's a big deal...but so many developers/companies just make changes without this kind of consideration, so, thank you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel