- Posts: 6
- Thank you received: 0
Help and support for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users.
Library Speed Connection Issues
- robinsonjiv@gmail.com
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
3 years 2 months ago #7771
by robinsonjiv@gmail.com
Library Speed Connection Issues was created by robinsonjiv@gmail.com
Hey all
I've used yac reader library for about 6 months on my iPad without Issues using the external IP of my network to connect in when I'm remote.
Recently switched to AT&T fiber and am running into issues. In the at&t route I did allow port 8888 (which I specified on my server) and I also allowed pass through for outside connections to my computer where the server is. I can connect.
The issue is the connection is slow and times out to the point that it is unusable. I'm not sure why it would be slow like this but it is causing me issues with downloading comics or reading them.
Any recommendations here?
Computer: Windows 10
Tablet: IPad Pro
ISP: AT&T Fiber
Server Port: 8888
I've used yac reader library for about 6 months on my iPad without Issues using the external IP of my network to connect in when I'm remote.
Recently switched to AT&T fiber and am running into issues. In the at&t route I did allow port 8888 (which I specified on my server) and I also allowed pass through for outside connections to my computer where the server is. I can connect.
The issue is the connection is slow and times out to the point that it is unusable. I'm not sure why it would be slow like this but it is causing me issues with downloading comics or reading them.
Any recommendations here?
Computer: Windows 10
Tablet: IPad Pro
ISP: AT&T Fiber
Server Port: 8888
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- robinsonjiv@gmail.com
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 6
- Thank you received: 0
3 years 1 month ago #7784
by robinsonjiv@gmail.com
Replied by robinsonjiv@gmail.com on topic Library Speed Connection Issues
Found the solution to this issue. Will update to add to the community KB soon.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- robinsonjiv@gmail.com
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 6
- Thank you received: 0
3 years 1 month ago #7785
by robinsonjiv@gmail.com
Replied by robinsonjiv@gmail.com on topic Library Speed Connection Issues
Okay new problem.
This is no longer a speed issue.
When I set a port for some reason, the port is listening with my ipv6 IP instead of my IPv4. I have no clue why. For example. I set it to 8888 and I see:
I can't get to that when I browse in the browser.
Mind you, my computer local IP is 192.168.1.68
I tried going in the browser to 192.168.1.68:8888 (locally) and it does not work.
The port for some reason isn't listening on my ipv4 address.
Any reasons as to why it would do this and how to fix?
This is no longer a speed issue.
When I set a port for some reason, the port is listening with my ipv6 IP instead of my IPv4. I have no clue why. For example. I set it to 8888 and I see:
Code:
netstat -an | find "8888"
TCP [2600:1700:3fd5:24f0::49]:8888 [::]:0 LISTENING
I can't get to that when I browse in the browser.
Mind you, my computer local IP is 192.168.1.68
I tried going in the browser to 192.168.1.68:8888 (locally) and it does not work.
The port for some reason isn't listening on my ipv4 address.
Any reasons as to why it would do this and how to fix?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- robinsonjiv@gmail.com
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 6
- Thank you received: 0
3 years 1 month ago #7787
by robinsonjiv@gmail.com
Replied by robinsonjiv@gmail.com on topic Library Local AND Remote Connection Issues (IPv6?)
I called my ISP (AT&T) to do troubleshooting. I have the fiber service. This is what I found.
When I have the allocation mode settings in my modem set to "Passthrough Server" this means that the device I choose (my main home computer) loses its local IP (192.168.x.x) completely and gains the external IP of my modem. This is a problem for many reasons.
1. I can't do any internal local networking. No communication from other computers or devices to that computer, no internal server hosting for that computer, and when it comes to Yac Reader, no connectivity to my comic library if I'm on the local network.
2. I cannot access Yac reader locally if I'm on the same network even if I'm using the external IP address. This is because AT&T's network/modem does not allow you to route out from and then come back in same interface/network. It's either Bogon or some other kind of filtering. Therefore, I can only access the comic server with my devices if I'm OFF the network. Weird right? Remotely, this is fine but obviously this is annoying when I'm at home in my bedroom with my tablet that has no LTE and needs Wifi (I use a hotspot when I'm away).
When I turn the allocation mode on my modem to "Default Server" this is what happens:
1. My local IP exists again and it is accessible over the port I set for Yac Reader and all my non yYc local networking works.
2. My external IP exists and the server is accessible remotely.
3. I have two server profiles on my tablet, one for local when I'm at home and one for remote when I'm away. And it works swimingly.
4. My Ports look like they are supposed to when I run netstat:
This what happens randomly when I do nothing, or maybe if I restart my computer or the service.
Yeah, it starts using my IPv6 IP for GOD KNOWS WHAT REASON.
when it's like this, I can access the server locally if I use the IPv6 IP, but I can't access it remotely at all.
Then sometimes, randomly, with no intervention of my own, it goes back to using IPv4 and everything works.
The AT&T tech I spoke to was surprisingly more knowledgeable than pretty much anyone else I spoke to at the company but he doesn't seem to be able to fully solve the problem regardless of understanding it, other than turning off IPv6 completely. But he's worried this will cause other networking issues and is afraid to do so.
Anyways, with all of this information, is there any other insight anyone might be able to offer as a solution to this problem or a reason as to why Yac Reader starts using my IPv6 IP instead of my IPv4, thus cutting off my connectivity?
When I have the allocation mode settings in my modem set to "Passthrough Server" this means that the device I choose (my main home computer) loses its local IP (192.168.x.x) completely and gains the external IP of my modem. This is a problem for many reasons.
1. I can't do any internal local networking. No communication from other computers or devices to that computer, no internal server hosting for that computer, and when it comes to Yac Reader, no connectivity to my comic library if I'm on the local network.
2. I cannot access Yac reader locally if I'm on the same network even if I'm using the external IP address. This is because AT&T's network/modem does not allow you to route out from and then come back in same interface/network. It's either Bogon or some other kind of filtering. Therefore, I can only access the comic server with my devices if I'm OFF the network. Weird right? Remotely, this is fine but obviously this is annoying when I'm at home in my bedroom with my tablet that has no LTE and needs Wifi (I use a hotspot when I'm away).
When I turn the allocation mode on my modem to "Default Server" this is what happens:
1. My local IP exists again and it is accessible over the port I set for Yac Reader and all my non yYc local networking works.
2. My external IP exists and the server is accessible remotely.
3. I have two server profiles on my tablet, one for local when I'm at home and one for remote when I'm away. And it works swimingly.
4. My Ports look like they are supposed to when I run netstat:
Code:
netstat -an | find "8888"
TCP 0.0.0.0:8888 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP [::]:8888 [::]:0 LISTENING
This what happens randomly when I do nothing, or maybe if I restart my computer or the service.
Code:
netstat -an | find "8888"
TCP [2600:1700:3fd5:24f0::49]:8888 [::]:0 LISTENING
Yeah, it starts using my IPv6 IP for GOD KNOWS WHAT REASON.
when it's like this, I can access the server locally if I use the IPv6 IP, but I can't access it remotely at all.
Then sometimes, randomly, with no intervention of my own, it goes back to using IPv4 and everything works.
The AT&T tech I spoke to was surprisingly more knowledgeable than pretty much anyone else I spoke to at the company but he doesn't seem to be able to fully solve the problem regardless of understanding it, other than turning off IPv6 completely. But he's worried this will cause other networking issues and is afraid to do so.
Anyways, with all of this information, is there any other insight anyone might be able to offer as a solution to this problem or a reason as to why Yac Reader starts using my IPv6 IP instead of my IPv4, thus cutting off my connectivity?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
3 years 1 month ago #7790
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Library Local AND Remote Connection Issues (IPv6?)
One thing you can try is disable IPv6 but only in your computer, it won’t affect your service at all and YACReader will use IPv4.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: robinsonjiv@gmail.com
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- robinsonjiv@gmail.com
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 6
- Thank you received: 0
3 years 1 month ago #7791
by robinsonjiv@gmail.com
Replied by robinsonjiv@gmail.com on topic Library Speed Connection Issues
Update:
I did disable IPv6 on my computer. Initially it did not bind 8888 to anything after doing that.
On a PC restart it, YAC had chosen a random port. I set it back to 8888 and it's listening on the right ports according to Netstat again ( and connectivity works).
I'll test restarting again later to see if for some reason the 8888 reverts back to a random port again. If it does that's going to be a problem and I may need to figure out how to run a script that auto sets it to 8888 on boot up.
Slightly unrelated, is there a way to get Yac reader to automatically launch on boot?
I did disable IPv6 on my computer. Initially it did not bind 8888 to anything after doing that.
On a PC restart it, YAC had chosen a random port. I set it back to 8888 and it's listening on the right ports according to Netstat again ( and connectivity works).
I'll test restarting again later to see if for some reason the 8888 reverts back to a random port again. If it does that's going to be a problem and I may need to figure out how to run a script that auto sets it to 8888 on boot up.
Slightly unrelated, is there a way to get Yac reader to automatically launch on boot?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
3 years 1 month ago #7794
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Library Speed Connection Issues
If it picks a random port it is because the port you set is being used (or failed to be set for some reason) when the app starts
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- robinsonjiv@gmail.com
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 6
- Thank you received: 0
3 years 1 month ago #7796
by robinsonjiv@gmail.com
Replied by robinsonjiv@gmail.com on topic Library Speed Connection Issues
Gotcha, You've been a huge help. Thank you much for your feedback. This is working almost 100% now.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Luis Ángel