Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: YACReader crashing when conecting to local mount

YACReader crashing when conecting to local mount 5 years 8 months ago #4136

Pastorino

Fresh Boarder

Hi,

I'm currently setting up a workstation to make my comics and other things available over the network. It will be used for general purpose too on my company, so I installed a Fedora graphical workstation.

I installed using the dnf method, because it's just easier and don't have much time to spend, and everything went great, it installed all the dependencies and was working fine, until I start importing libraries.

I did test YACReader before, on a hackintosh (Mac installed on a PC), so my libraries were already on my Samba share, installed on a CentOS machine that I put all my documents and softwares.

First time I imported, all my comics were here, but I suddenly realized I weren't able to update my library.

I went further and just deleted everything (the libraries) from respective folders, so I could re-import again and see if things were ok. I don't like this delete and redo method, but I was already a bit impatient and thought maybe libraries were corrupted.

So, when I try to import my libraries from the Samba share, it doesn't import anything and YACReaderLibrary crashes. I did try to reinstall and reboot.

My setup is the following:

Samba and AFP on CentOS
Mount through /etc/fstab to a local folder. I am able to read and write with my user.

I do this method so I can just use my shares as local files, mount on boot and everything looks nice on the system.

I did try to add through smb network, just to test it, it gives me the "out of memory-Error opening database" error.

I tried importing trough local folder and it does import nicely (I tried same folders on samba, so I can see if it was a corrupted magazine/character set problem)

So with all this I assume it's something related to Samba permissions, but my user is fully able to rwx on the local share mount. Is there another user YACReaderLibrary uses to write on the share?

Going further to see if it's something related with fstab permissions (Samba server is perfectly under production state and permissions are fine serverside), but if anyone has a thing to add, or want to go deep with me on fstab.

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

YACReader crashing when conecting to local mount 5 years 8 months ago #4137

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 543

YACReaderLibrary uses sqlite and it you can find a lot of information about all the problems that a sqlite database causes when it is in a shared location.

But, I use it like that in my local network without issues, the problem shoul only affect concurrent access scenarios.

Try to do this, install YACReaderLibrary in the computer containing the comics, create and update your libraries using that machine (locally). If this works ok, then just open the library through the samba share, this should work as a “read only solution”, check if the reading progress is properly persisted. And finally try a full update again.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

YACReader crashing when conecting to local mount 5 years 8 months ago #4138

Pastorino

Fresh Boarder

I don't want to set up YACReader on a production environment, where my Samba/AFP is (I know, keeping comics on work space, but I also share with books and manuals I do want to keep available to read and import those I want to keep offline, etc...), and even more being a CentOS, as I would need to compile it, install dependencies, different versions of software on /opt and that kind of thing. Also, I already tested installing comics from my local client Fedora machine and it's working, so definitely it's a YAC to samba issue. Import local = ok, import local mounted from Samba (Cifs) = crash.

Before, when I was having an issue mounting it rw, YACReader complained I needed permissions. When I fixed it, started crashing, so that may indicate the issue is not from something being read only.

Will test mounting it differently from fstab. Maybe something about Cifs?

Thanks for the response.

YACReader crashing when conecting to local mount 5 years 8 months ago #4139

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

The common problem with sqlite on a network share is file locking. I don't remember all the details involved, but generally speaking file locking on smb is unreliable and that causes the sqlite to permanently lock up. The general solution to this problem is to disable file locking on the network share. This might help:

www.yacreader.com/forum/support-linux/64...he-library-cifs#2957
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pastorino

YACReader crashing when conecting to local mount 5 years 8 months ago #4141

Pastorino

Fresh Boarder

Just nobrl went fine! nounix seems to disable things I don't want, as acls, so I went little to see if it worked, and it did!!

I set 'nobrl' option on /etc/fstab and my library is importing fine now.

Many thanks to both!