- Posts: 2
- Thank you received: 0
Help and support for Linux users.
Dummy needing help upgrading RPi3 to 9.5
- tim21
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
7 years 8 months ago #4438
by tim21
Dummy needing help upgrading RPi3 to 9.5 was created by tim21
Hi, I just cannot seem to upgrade my RPi3 server (Raspbian) to version 9.5. I had the previous version working perfectly thanks to the previous tutorial (
www.yacreader.com/45-yacreaderlibraryser...aspberry-pi-raspbian
). I have tried following a couple related forum threads on upgrading, but I'm not such a techie and a total Linux noob. Please bear with me; I realize this might be rehashing other conversations.
I git cloned the updated repository successfully. But I am not sure what to do from there. If I try following the old tutorial and "qmake YACReaderLibraryServer.pro" but I get an error saying "you need at least QT 5.6 to compile". A quick Google search seems like this is not a straightforward process to upgrade. Maybe it is?
More generally, I do not know how to remove the old instance. Is this even required or if I successfully install 9.5, will it overwrite the previous version? Again, noob question
Thanks in advance. I love the headless server but I haven't been able to run it since the latest update.
I git cloned the updated repository successfully. But I am not sure what to do from there. If I try following the old tutorial and "qmake YACReaderLibraryServer.pro" but I get an error saying "you need at least QT 5.6 to compile". A quick Google search seems like this is not a straightforward process to upgrade. Maybe it is?
More generally, I do not know how to remove the old instance. Is this even required or if I successfully install 9.5, will it overwrite the previous version? Again, noob question
Thanks in advance. I love the headless server but I haven't been able to run it since the latest update.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- selmf
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
7 years 8 months ago #4439
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Replied by selmf on topic Dummy needing help upgrading RPi3 to 9.5
Ok, the first thing you should do is upgrading your Raspbian installation to the latest stable version ("stretch"). That should take care of the "you need at least QT 5.6 to compile" error.
Now, to remove the old version of YACReaderLibraryServer (this is a little dangerous, make sure to double-ckeck these commands!!):
This will not remove your configuration and library files as those are located in a different location.
Newer versions of YACReaderLibraryServer also install a systemd service, but we probably won't need to remove this in your case.
IMPORTANT!!! When building the newer version of YACReaderLibraryServer DO NOT run "sudo make install"! Installing software outside of a systems package management is considered bad practice and doing that (by following the instructions) is what brought you into the situation of needing to manually remove it.
Instead, I recommend to do this:
This will wrap the install command and create a .deb package which you then can install.
Last but not least, the installation instructions for the headless server are a bit dated, so your mileage may vary. Don't hesitate to ask for help
Now, to remove the old version of YACReaderLibraryServer (this is a little dangerous, make sure to double-ckeck these commands!!):
Code:
sudo rm /usr/bin/YACReaderLibraryServer
sudo rm -r /usr/share/yacreader
This will not remove your configuration and library files as those are located in a different location.
Newer versions of YACReaderLibraryServer also install a systemd service, but we probably won't need to remove this in your case.
IMPORTANT!!! When building the newer version of YACReaderLibraryServer DO NOT run "sudo make install"! Installing software outside of a systems package management is considered bad practice and doing that (by following the instructions) is what brought you into the situation of needing to manually remove it.
Instead, I recommend to do this:
Code:
sudo apt-get install checkinstall
sudo checkinstall -D make install
This will wrap the install command and create a .deb package which you then can install.
Last but not least, the installation instructions for the headless server are a bit dated, so your mileage may vary. Don't hesitate to ask for help
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- tim21
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 2
- Thank you received: 0
7 years 8 months ago #4440
by tim21
Replied by tim21 on topic Dummy needing help upgrading RPi3 to 9.5
Thank you for the reply. I followed your advice and my server is not updated to version 9.5. But on my iOS device, it gives the error 'Could not connect to server'.
I'm not sure if my server is correctly running. The command "YACReaderLibraryServer start" initiates to a final line of "YACReaderLibraryServer starting" but it just stays there and does not return to an input prompt. I am not sure if this is normal.
Any additional suggestions? Thanks again.
I'm not sure if my server is correctly running. The command "YACReaderLibraryServer start" initiates to a final line of "YACReaderLibraryServer starting" but it just stays there and does not return to an input prompt. I am not sure if this is normal.
Any additional suggestions? Thanks again.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- selmf
- Offline
- Moderator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 639
- Thank you received: 136
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #4441
by selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Replied by selmf on topic Dummy needing help upgrading RPi3 to 9.5
Yes, that is normal.
There are two ways to deal with this, depending on how you want to run the headless server.
The first way is to run it in background, you can do this like this:
The "&" at the end tells the shell to run it in background.
Or you could use the systemd service file we provide. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:
github.com/YACReader/yacreader/blob/mast...emd_instructions.txt
As you installed the headless server as a package on your system, you can skip the first two steps and start with step 3.
The first way is good for testing, the second way is good if you want something a bit more robust and permanent.
There are two ways to deal with this, depending on how you want to run the headless server.
The first way is to run it in background, you can do this like this:
Code:
YACReaderLibraryServer start &
The "&" at the end tells the shell to run it in background.
Or you could use the systemd service file we provide. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:
github.com/YACReader/yacreader/blob/mast...emd_instructions.txt
As you installed the headless server as a package on your system, you can skip the first two steps and start with step 3.
The first way is good for testing, the second way is good if you want something a bit more robust and permanent.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by selmf.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Luis Ángel