Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Install a VPN for remote access to your YAC server

Install a VPN for remote access to your YAC server 3 months 2 weeks ago #8099

middle_pickup

Expert Boarder

Thank you received: 2

Recently I decided that I wanted to try my novice hand at installing a VPN at home so that I could remotely access my YAC server from outside the house. After a little searching online, and a few hours of effort I got my raspberry pi up and running with PiVPN, and dynamic DNS support through duckDNS. Both are free, and I've been using this setup to connect to my YAC server outside the home. It's working great, and I definitely recommend the same setup for others with a large library of comics or manga.

After posting about this in the discord I was asked to write a guide for others who want to do the same. However, the guides I followed on wundertech.net are already written quite well. Instead, I thought I would create this forum post with links to the two guides I followed as a place where other users who might have questions as they follow the steps can ask freely. I'm glad to give any help I can.

In order to follow these guides you will need a raspberry pi, and a working internet connection at home. You will also need to be somewhat familiar with using a command line, but the guide is pretty easy to follow for noobs. If I did it correctly, you surely can. You also need to be able to access the admin settings of your home router to forward the ports needed for the piVPN server. This is all covered pretty well in the guides, but for those with questions don't be afraid to ask here. I'll be glad to help.

The first guide shows you how to set up DDNS so that your home's public IP is always accessible on your remote devices.

The second guide follows the steps to install the piVPN server, and connect your remote devices like an iPad, or laptop to the VPN.

Each guide includes a video that explains some of the basics, but the written guide is much more detailed. I recommend watching the video as a preface only, and then reading each step as you progress. Good luck!
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by middle_pickup.
The administrator has disabled public write access.