Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: A PPA on Launchpad?

A PPA on Launchpad? 9 years 2 months ago #1024

Chocwise

Fresh Boarder

I'm no developer in any way, so I don't have too much insight in the processes of developing, compiling and distributing.
But wouldn't using Launchpad be a comfortable way for you to compile and distribute YACReader for various architectures?
I think the resulting .deb's should work for Debian as well as the various Ubuntu derivates, also counting Linux Mint.
And of course it would also be comfortable for users like myself to automatically get the newest updates. :)
Adding a PPA and installing packages from it is as easy as executing these commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:luisangel/yacreader
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install yacreader

launchpad.net/
help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Package_Archive
Last Edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Chocwise.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A PPA on Launchpad? 9 years 2 months ago #1026

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Hi Chocwise,

deploying software on a Debian based platform is not a fun experience. Debian and it's derivates have a rather sophisticated packaging system and a lot of rules/practices you have to follow in order to get a proper package. We pursued inclusion into Debian a few months ago, but the project currently is on hiatus due to a pecularity of YACReader needing bits of sourcecode of another software (p7zip) to properly interface it's compression backend (p7zip). This is one of the reasons we do have .deb packages which work nicely for most people, but these aren't included in any distro I know of.
As most of the packaging work for Linux is done by me and I don't even run a .deb based distro compiling and shipping even these packages is always a bit complicated and time-consuming, which is one of the reasons the newest versions of YACReader are always deployed last for .deb based distros.
YACReader is a project with very little manpower. Luis is doing most of the stuff and I help out where I can.

If you'd like to have a go at creating a launchpad for YACReader yourself I'm happy to help you out. You can even use my source packages, so you won't have to go through the trouble of creating them from scratch.

Regards,

selmf
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
Last Edit: 9 years 2 months ago by selmf.

A PPA on Launchpad? 9 years 2 months ago #1029

Chocwise

Fresh Boarder

Sadly my holidays are nearly over. 1 or 2 weeks ago I would've actually been bored enough to look into it. :(
I do have a Launchpad account and have signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct. I think I even have a SSH key for it somewhere in my keyring.

A long long time ago, I created a .deb package out of some binaries, because I didn't want to install them without the package manager knowing about them. I thought it was rather easy. Just setting a version, defining the dependencies, a little this and that and then .tar.gz'ing and renaming it to .deb.
The package manager accepted it without any complaining.

Are there problems with statically linked libraries with the package manager or PPA's? Does Launchpad's build service complain? Or is it just Debian's policy to only accept dynamically linked libraries?
I don't think it would matter for a PPA in that case. There's no overseer who mashes his "Accepted!" or "Denied!" stamp on packages entering a PPA. It's just your "Personal Package Archive" after all. :D
As long as the build service can compile it, it should work, I think. And I think their build service is essentially the same as building binaries on your own local Ubuntu machine. So if it builds ok on your Ubuntu it should also build fine on Launchpad...
I think. Never tried it. Just assuming. ;)

Well. I might be able to push it all into a PPA. And it might even build and be a proper PPA to share with other people then. But I won't know what to do if problems arise. I'm really no good at analysing errors when building binaries and stuff. I just know some basics that suffice as long as everything works right away. XD

A PPA on Launchpad? 9 years 2 months ago #1030

selmf

Developer

Making something that "just installs" is a quick process. Making something that properly installs and passes Debian/Ubuntu package criteria is a lot of more work.

You can find the source packages needed on the same page I upload the precompiled .deb packages.[1]
You'll need yacreader_7.2.0-1.debian.tar.gz, yacreader_7.2.0-1.dsc and yacreader_7.2.0.orig.tar.xz to do a proper build. Yacreader_7.2.0.orig.tar.xz derivates slightly from the source tarballs we distribute for Arch Linux and other distributions in that it has p7zip source code added. As this is a violation of Debian policies we currently are unable to submit the package for integration.

If you could take care of providing the ppa I could continue providing working source packages and some technical support. It should be as easy as "push the source package into the ppa", the build system should take care of the rest.
My current build setup is a clean Debian/Ubuntu root I keep just for building these packages. It has the advantage to allow me to build locally and check for errors, but it has the disadvantage that I cannot check whether such stuff as a ppa is working since I do not use a compatible distro.

[1] bitbucket.org/luisangelsm/yacreader/issu...ian-ubuntu-packaging
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

A PPA on Launchpad? 9 years 2 months ago #1031

Chocwise

Fresh Boarder

I will be honest with you. I don't think I'm reliable enough to do this for a long period of time. Maybe I'm not yet invested enough in this project. I just found YACReader yesterday, after all.
And what good does it do to add a fragile link to the distribution chain? ;)
People will add the PPA and rarely get updated afterwards because lazy old Chocwise forgot about it.

I really do admire the dedication of people like Luis and you. Putting lots of work into a project and doing it for a long period of time, for not enough or even no money at all. I mean 803€ in 5 or 6 years? Guys... Give this dude a few bucks for this sweet piece of software!
Anyways. I'm not like that. I find a new toy, play around with it and then pretty much forget about it. That's why my Launchpad account collects dust since the ten years or so it exists.

A PPA on Launchpad? 9 years 2 months ago #1033

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

There are a lot of ways to collaborate in an open source project, some of them don't take so much effort.

If you think that you are going to get bored about the project, just spread the word before you will lose all the interest on it :D Social networks and forums are the right places for doing this.

For some reason (probably is my fault) YACReader is not well known out there (yet).
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

A PPA on Launchpad? 9 years 2 months ago #1035

Chocwise

Fresh Boarder

I'm not very active in any boards where YACREader could be a topic. I don't use Facebook, Twitter and the likes either. ;)

I didn't mean that I will lose interest in YACReader. I will be reading Comics with it as long as I don't find any better reader. But I lose interest in taking an active part in a project easily.

I think YACReader could gain a few more users if it were available in the official Ubuntu repository. I think a lot of Linux users are starving for such a fancy reader, keeping in mind that there are just Comix and MComix. They're nice, but YACReader will soon leave them even farther behind when 8.0 comes out, I'm sure.
When you search for "comic" in the Software Centre, there are about 25 matches. About 7 of those are actual readers and only Comix and MComics are worth mentioning as readers fit for comics. So users who will search for a comic reader, WILL check out YACReader. Especially after seeing screenshots. ;)
But Felix already mentioned, that it's quite a hassle to get the project into the official repos.

A PPA on Launchpad? 8 years 11 months ago #1296

selmf

Developer

We now do have repositories. For details, see:

bitbucket.org/luisangelsm/yacreader/issu...ian-ubuntu-packaging

(I'd post a direct link but it's blocked as spam...)

A PPA on Launchpad? 8 years 11 months ago #1297

selmf

Developer

A PPA on Launchpad? 8 years 11 months ago #1298

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

selmf wrote:
(I'd post a direct link but it's blocked as spam...)

For some reason the spam filter is becoming extremely picky, I have to fix it.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Last Edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Luis Ángel.