Skip to content
YACReader
Help and support for MacOSX users.

yacreader can't recognize any file type

  • corgiking
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
More
7 years 11 months ago #4334 by corgiking
yacreader can't recognize any file type was created by corgiking
I tried to open some files with the reader but it can't recognize any, eg. zip or rar. However, I can open the files with the "open with" > "other"...

I even try 8.5, still no luck.

any idea?

MacOs 10.13.6.

thanks
Vic
The following user(s) said Thank You: LukeInDC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #4377 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic yacreader can't recognize any file type
I didn't have time to look into this yet, it something I have to fix.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4846 by LukeInDC
Replied by LukeInDC on topic yacreader can't recognize any file type
This problem can be fixed as follows:
Select a file (somecomic.cbr or someothercomic.cbz) in finder. Press "CMD i" (That's the Command Key and the letter I as in India)
In the info box that pops up, choose "Open With". Scroll to "Other", Enable "All Applications" in the drop down. Find Yacreader, click on it then click add.
Click the "Change All" button just below the Open With (which should now show YACReader.app).
Click "Continue". Now all your comics should open with yacreader when you double click them. You'll need to do it for both file types (.cbr and .cbz).

The reason why this occurs is because some where in the coding, YACReader doesn't notify MacOS that it is able to open .cbr and .cbz files nor does it try to make itself the default for opening these file types. I'm not a programmer so I can't tell you how to set this up in your code but I do know that is the reason.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4847 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic yacreader can't recognize any file type
Actually YACReader tells the SO about the supported extensions: github.com/YACReader/yacreader/blob/deve...YACReader/Info.plist

I changed how YACReader for iOS exposes that information recently and I need to do the same in the desktop version I think, the docs are not very clear and I have see people doing very different things to achieve the desired result.

@LukeInDC thanks for sharing those steps.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4849 by LukeInDC
Replied by LukeInDC on topic yacreader can't recognize any file type
Is there a way for me to manually force the OS to recognize the info.plist? I'd especially like for the icon to change from the current blank icon to the yacreader icon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4854 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic yacreader can't recognize any file type
Give a few days and I'll try to improve that so you can test it with a dev build.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4867 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic yacreader can't recognize any file type
Plase, try this dev version: bintray.com/beta/#/luisangelsm/YACReader...ds/1910202?tab=files

Right click -> open with should work now.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4882 by logansdaddy921
Replied by logansdaddy921 on topic yacreader can't recognize any file type
Thank you. Build works great and resolves issues although i was already using the work around.

I was hoping this would resolve the issue in MacOS that keeps the YACreader icon from propagating correctly to all file types set to open to YACearder by default. Ive tried every fix i could find from re-writing the .plist to rebuilding the .icons package with no luck. I saw this issue was brought once before nearly a year ago. I know its very minor but any insight into a work around or proper fix? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4885 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic yacreader can't recognize any file type
Yeah, the icon is a separate issue, I need to add it. The list of things to do is so huge that even small things like this take time.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #4886 by logansdaddy921
Replied by logansdaddy921 on topic yacreader can't recognize any file type
Completely understood. Thanks for the quick response!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Luis Ángel
Powered by Kunena Forum

Thanks for downloading YACReader!

Your download is starting.

YACReader for iOS and Android

Connect to YACReaderLibrary to browse, read remotely and import comics. Your reading progress is synchronized across devices.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Available at Amazon Appstore

Discover all the features on the iOS and Android pages, and learn how to use them in the iOS and Android user guides.

Support YACReader

YACReader for desktop and server is free to use, but it is not free to develop: maintaining this website, developer programs, code signing certificates, test devices and, of course, all the time it takes. Less than 0.01% of downloads end in a donation, so any amount counts.

By supporting the project you help keep it regularly updated and, most importantly, alive. Thanks!