- Posts: 9
- Thank you received: 0
Help and support for Windows users.
Batch rename a genre for various different comics?
- ilikebeans
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
2 years 2 months ago #8623
by ilikebeans
Batch rename a genre for various different comics? was created by ilikebeans
Hi, I've been using YACReader for a while now and find it extremely helpful in organizing my massive collection.
However, when I started using this I didn't properly label the genre for various comics correctly, is there a way to open the metadata in like a text editor, such as Notepad++, so I can batch rename the genre to something else?
For example: "Genre 1, Comedy, Genre 3, Genre 4" to "Genre 1, Satire, Genre 3, Genre 4"
I have around 100-130 comics with this wrong genre label, and I can't just select all of them and change it or else the other metadata, including the other genres, will be overwritten, too.
I thought I'd ask to see if there was a quick way to do this before I go ahead and do each manually, which would be extremely arduous.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
However, when I started using this I didn't properly label the genre for various comics correctly, is there a way to open the metadata in like a text editor, such as Notepad++, so I can batch rename the genre to something else?
For example: "Genre 1, Comedy, Genre 3, Genre 4" to "Genre 1, Satire, Genre 3, Genre 4"
I have around 100-130 comics with this wrong genre label, and I can't just select all of them and change it or else the other metadata, including the other genres, will be overwritten, too.
I thought I'd ask to see if there was a quick way to do this before I go ahead and do each manually, which would be extremely arduous.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
2 years 2 months ago #8624
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Batch rename a genre for various different comics?
You can probably use the search engine for this. Type the genre (or you can be more specific typing genre:whatever_you_want_to_change) then select all the comics in the result and edit them to override the genre. You many need to repeat the process because the search engine limits the results to 500 comics.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- ilikebeans
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 9
- Thank you received: 0
2 years 2 months ago #8625
by ilikebeans
Replied by ilikebeans on topic Batch rename a genre for various different comics?
But wouldn't doing so also overwrite the other metadata?
Like the other genres, title, author, volume, etc? I only want to change the single genre while leaving everything else already recorded alone.
By the way, appreciate the speedy reply!
Like the other genres, title, author, volume, etc? I only want to change the single genre while leaving everything else already recorded alone.
By the way, appreciate the speedy reply!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- ilikebeans
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 9
- Thank you received: 0
2 years 2 months ago #8626
by ilikebeans
Replied by ilikebeans on topic Batch rename a genre for various different comics?
I tried that with 2 comics but it does remove all the other metadata recorded, so doing that would essentially be resetting the slate blank for all of those comics.
Is there no way to just rename the genre alone so all comics with say the genre "comic" get turned into "satire" without affecting anything else?
Is there no way to just rename the genre alone so all comics with say the genre "comic" get turned into "satire" without affecting anything else?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
2 years 2 months ago #8627
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Batch rename a genre for various different comics?
No, it doesn't work like that, when editing multiple comics only the fields modified are written to the DB. I have tested it and it worked as expected...
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- ilikebeans
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 9
- Thank you received: 0
2 years 2 months ago #8630
by ilikebeans
Replied by ilikebeans on topic Batch rename a genre for various different comics?
I know that the other fields remain intact, but the other genres listed in the same field ARE overwritten.
For example, if one comic has "Adventure, Comedy, Romance." and another has "Comedy, Drama, Mystery." when you select both of these comics and edit the genre field to say "Adventure, Romance, Satire.", the end result will be that only the new entry gets written onto all selected comics — meaning all the selected comics genre field will now say "Adventure, Romance, Satire.", whilst the previous entries are overwritten, isn't that so? Because I don't believe I'm doing it wrong...
For example, if one comic has "Adventure, Comedy, Romance." and another has "Comedy, Drama, Mystery." when you select both of these comics and edit the genre field to say "Adventure, Romance, Satire.", the end result will be that only the new entry gets written onto all selected comics — meaning all the selected comics genre field will now say "Adventure, Romance, Satire.", whilst the previous entries are overwritten, isn't that so? Because I don't believe I'm doing it wrong...
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
2 years 2 months ago #8631
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Batch rename a genre for various different comics?
Yeah, if you have more than one genre then it won't work. The database is sqlite3, so you may use some tool like SQLiteDatabaseBrowse and execute some SQL queries to update the strings.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: ilikebeans
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- ilikebeans
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 9
- Thank you received: 0
2 years 2 months ago #8632
by ilikebeans
Replied by ilikebeans on topic Batch rename a genre for various different comics?
Thank you very much for your assistance, this solution worked out perfectly for my needs.
You saved me hours of manually adjusting all the mistaken genres!
You saved me hours of manually adjusting all the mistaken genres!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
2 years 2 months ago #8633
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Batch rename a genre for various different comics?
Great!
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Luis Ángel