Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: Hello from Durham, NC

Hello from Durham, NC 9 months 1 week ago #7685

brownstudy

Fresh Boarder

Hi-ho - 60-something comics enthusiast here.

Had been using Chunky for a long long time on my iPad but it's not been updated in years and has started throwing errors. So I searched and tried out several iOS readers; I think YACReader is the one. It passed my "zero grief" rule on the ipad so it's staying.

Just installed YAC desktop on my MacBook and imported all the files from Chunky into the YAC library.

Is there any documentation anywhere about what the library does for me, how to organize all my myriad files, different methods of organizing the files, etc. For Chunky, all I did was dump the files into a single iCloud folder -- no subfolders or virtual collections. I liked the simplicity of that.

If anyone can point me to some basic beginner information on using YAC desktop, please send it my way!

As for comics: I've been enjoying lots of Humble Bundle deals I've cadged over the years, and several books lately from the Panel Syndicate.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hello from Durham, NC 9 months 1 week ago #7691

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

Welcome!

I plan on adding metadata based navigation to YACReaderLibrary, check Discord: discord.com/channels/917481792179679263/.../1109772348304924682

I recently discovered that there are users like you that like to put everything in a single folder with no subfolders, it makes cry and it makes me wonder what I am doing with my life :'( :s but I will take it into consideration for future updates. I would like to add something that will organize comics automatically in folders, that + metadata navigation should be enough to cover everyone needs.

Thanks for choosing YACReader!
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Hello from Durham, NC 9 months 1 week ago #7692

brownstudy

Fresh Boarder

Sorry, man, I didn't mean for you to question your life choices :)

Thing is, I was a late comer to digital comics and Chunky is the only app I've ever used, so I imprinted on it like a baby chick. I'm an old dog but I can learn a few new tricks.

I hesitate to create bunches of folders because I have lots of single issue or single volume files -- where do they go? And I don't want to repeat the years I spent burning CDS, cleaning metadata, etc in iTunes -- I don't want to be my collection's servant.

But, yes, sure, it does makes sense to make folders for some of the series or specific artists, so I will do that on a small scale and see how it goes.

Thanks for the note.

Hello from Durham, NC 9 months 1 week ago #7693

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Yeah, I totally get it, but for now YACReader won't help you browse your stuff in an organized way. You can access your library, and maybe use the search from the iOS app remote browser to find what you want.
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Hello from Durham, NC 8 months 1 day ago #7811

brownstudy

Fresh Boarder

Just an update: gone all in on the folders! Found some great Alan Moore collections on archive.org and folders seemed the best way to organize them.

I still have one-off indie stuff loose in the root folder, but I'm OK with that for now.

Using YACReaderLibrary inspired me to pull all my myriad digital comics together into one place for the first time ever. Really cool app. And the iOS reader is a dream come true for me.

Just made a monthly contribution to your Patreon since I like supporting apps I use frequently.

Hello from Durham, NC 8 months 1 day ago #7812

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you very much for contributing to the project.

My suggestion for one shots would be to put them in a folder too, just one if you want ("Indie one shots" or whatever), that way you can use the root folder view properly and as you library grows it will help with a better navigation experience.