- Posts: 3
- Thank you received: 0
Welcome to the YACReader forum!
Tell us and our members who you are, where are you from, what you like, etc.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
Tell us and our members who you are, where are you from, what you like, etc.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
Hello from Durham, NC
- brownstudy
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
3 years 2 months ago #7685
by brownstudy
Hello from Durham, NC was created by brownstudy
Hi-ho - 60-something comics enthusiast here.
Had been using Chunky for a long long time on my iPad but it's not been updated in years and has started throwing errors. So I searched and tried out several iOS readers; I think YACReader is the one. It passed my "zero grief" rule on the ipad so it's staying.
Just installed YAC desktop on my MacBook and imported all the files from Chunky into the YAC library.
Is there any documentation anywhere about what the library does for me, how to organize all my myriad files, different methods of organizing the files, etc. For Chunky, all I did was dump the files into a single iCloud folder -- no subfolders or virtual collections. I liked the simplicity of that.
If anyone can point me to some basic beginner information on using YAC desktop, please send it my way!
As for comics: I've been enjoying lots of Humble Bundle deals I've cadged over the years, and several books lately from the Panel Syndicate.
Had been using Chunky for a long long time on my iPad but it's not been updated in years and has started throwing errors. So I searched and tried out several iOS readers; I think YACReader is the one. It passed my "zero grief" rule on the ipad so it's staying.
Just installed YAC desktop on my MacBook and imported all the files from Chunky into the YAC library.
Is there any documentation anywhere about what the library does for me, how to organize all my myriad files, different methods of organizing the files, etc. For Chunky, all I did was dump the files into a single iCloud folder -- no subfolders or virtual collections. I liked the simplicity of that.
If anyone can point me to some basic beginner information on using YAC desktop, please send it my way!
As for comics: I've been enjoying lots of Humble Bundle deals I've cadged over the years, and several books lately from the Panel Syndicate.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
3 years 2 months ago #7691
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Hello from Durham, NC
Welcome!
I plan on adding metadata based navigation to YACReaderLibrary, check Discord: discord.com/channels/917481792179679263/.../1109772348304924682
I recently discovered that there are users like you that like to put everything in a single folder with no subfolders, it makes cry and it makes me wonder what I am doing with my life
but I will take it into consideration for future updates. I would like to add something that will organize comics automatically in folders, that + metadata navigation should be enough to cover everyone needs.
Thanks for choosing YACReader!
I plan on adding metadata based navigation to YACReaderLibrary, check Discord: discord.com/channels/917481792179679263/.../1109772348304924682
I recently discovered that there are users like you that like to put everything in a single folder with no subfolders, it makes cry and it makes me wonder what I am doing with my life
Thanks for choosing YACReader!
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- brownstudy
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3
- Thank you received: 0
3 years 2 months ago #7692
by brownstudy
Replied by brownstudy on topic Hello from Durham, NC
Sorry, man, I didn't mean for you to question your life choices 
Thing is, I was a late comer to digital comics and Chunky is the only app I've ever used, so I imprinted on it like a baby chick. I'm an old dog but I can learn a few new tricks.
I hesitate to create bunches of folders because I have lots of single issue or single volume files -- where do they go? And I don't want to repeat the years I spent burning CDS, cleaning metadata, etc in iTunes -- I don't want to be my collection's servant.
But, yes, sure, it does makes sense to make folders for some of the series or specific artists, so I will do that on a small scale and see how it goes.
Thanks for the note.
Thing is, I was a late comer to digital comics and Chunky is the only app I've ever used, so I imprinted on it like a baby chick. I'm an old dog but I can learn a few new tricks.
I hesitate to create bunches of folders because I have lots of single issue or single volume files -- where do they go? And I don't want to repeat the years I spent burning CDS, cleaning metadata, etc in iTunes -- I don't want to be my collection's servant.
But, yes, sure, it does makes sense to make folders for some of the series or specific artists, so I will do that on a small scale and see how it goes.
Thanks for the note.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
3 years 2 months ago #7693
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Hello from Durham, NC
Yeah, I totally get it, but for now YACReader won't help you browse your stuff in an organized way. You can access your library, and maybe use the search from the iOS app remote browser to find what you want.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- brownstudy
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3
- Thank you received: 0
3 years 1 month ago #7811
by brownstudy
Replied by brownstudy on topic Hello from Durham, NC
Just an update: gone all in on the folders! Found some great Alan Moore collections on archive.org and folders seemed the best way to organize them.
I still have one-off indie stuff loose in the root folder, but I'm OK with that for now.
Using YACReaderLibrary inspired me to pull all my myriad digital comics together into one place for the first time ever. Really cool app. And the iOS reader is a dream come true for me.
Just made a monthly contribution to your Patreon since I like supporting apps I use frequently.
I still have one-off indie stuff loose in the root folder, but I'm OK with that for now.
Using YACReaderLibrary inspired me to pull all my myriad digital comics together into one place for the first time ever. Really cool app. And the iOS reader is a dream come true for me.
Just made a monthly contribution to your Patreon since I like supporting apps I use frequently.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
3 years 1 month ago #7812
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Hello from Durham, NC
Thank you very much for contributing to the project.
My suggestion for one shots would be to put them in a folder too, just one if you want ("Indie one shots" or whatever), that way you can use the root folder view properly and as you library grows it will help with a better navigation experience.
My suggestion for one shots would be to put them in a folder too, just one if you want ("Indie one shots" or whatever), that way you can use the root folder view properly and as you library grows it will help with a better navigation experience.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Luis Ángel