- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
Help and support for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users.
Live Translation (update: available since 3.37.5)
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
5 months 4 days ago #10041
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Live Translation (update: available since 3.37.5)
I'll take a look, I think there are some problems with vertical text.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- all4all
- Offline
- Junior Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 33
- Thank you received: 4
5 months 1 day ago #10060
by all4all
Replied by all4all on topic Live Translation (update: available since 3.37.5)
Another feedback, I
1-n low resolution comics, using new adjustments help recognizing text. like increasing contract/sharpness etc. quite useful when used together.
2-It would also be very practical if within the comics if we get an option to change settings like letter types/size since each comic uses different fonts. now one has to disable translate go back to settings adjust the font and size and get back again. not much practical
Apple translate unfortunately still sucks. It ruins this great solution's output most of the time.
Hope apple will improve the translate app. Until then we are stuck with it.
1-n low resolution comics, using new adjustments help recognizing text. like increasing contract/sharpness etc. quite useful when used together.
2-It would also be very practical if within the comics if we get an option to change settings like letter types/size since each comic uses different fonts. now one has to disable translate go back to settings adjust the font and size and get back again. not much practical
Apple translate unfortunately still sucks. It ruins this great solution's output most of the time.
Hope apple will improve the translate app. Until then we are stuck with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- fol
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 2
- Thank you received: 1
4 months 4 weeks ago #10061
by fol
Replied by fol on topic Live Translation (update: available since 3.37.5)
I really appreciate the reading experience in YACReader for iPad.
The interface is clean, responsive, and honestly one of the best ways to read comics digitally.
However, the translation feature is currently the weakest part of the experience for me, and ironically it was one of the main reasons why I decided to purchase the app.
I’m Italian and I can understand around 70–80% of the original English text, but translation helps a lot during long reading sessions, especially with more complex dialogue or lore-heavy comics.
The problem is that the current translations are often inaccurate or unnatural enough to break immersion and comprehension instead of helping.
Would it be possible to implement support for different translation providers or let users choose the translation engine?
Even something like Google Translate would probably improve the experience significantly, and modern AI-based translators could make it dramatically better.
Right now the reading experience feels premium, while the translation layer feels surprisingly outdated.
Improving that part could genuinely make YACReader one of the best international comic reading platforms available.
The interface is clean, responsive, and honestly one of the best ways to read comics digitally.
However, the translation feature is currently the weakest part of the experience for me, and ironically it was one of the main reasons why I decided to purchase the app.
I’m Italian and I can understand around 70–80% of the original English text, but translation helps a lot during long reading sessions, especially with more complex dialogue or lore-heavy comics.
The problem is that the current translations are often inaccurate or unnatural enough to break immersion and comprehension instead of helping.
Would it be possible to implement support for different translation providers or let users choose the translation engine?
Even something like Google Translate would probably improve the experience significantly, and modern AI-based translators could make it dramatically better.
Right now the reading experience feels premium, while the translation layer feels surprisingly outdated.
Improving that part could genuinely make YACReader one of the best international comic reading platforms available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: all4all
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
4 months 4 weeks ago #10064
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Live Translation (update: available since 3.37.5)
There is an Apple Intelligence mode, but I found it too slow, at least on my device. For English and Spanish I didn’t see much improvement but maybe I can add it as an option in the settings to see if improves things in other languages.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
4 months 4 weeks ago #10065
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Live Translation (update: available since 3.37.5)
But the quality of the results doesn't depend only on the translation engine used, which I don't think it's bad, at least for the languages I know. Text detection plays a very important role, and the quality of the source material and even the font used matters. So once the OCR fails to recognize something correctly in a bubble the whole translation suffers a lot.
Anyway, I'll try to improve it as much as I can.
Anyway, I'll try to improve it as much as I can.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: all4all
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- all4all
- Offline
- Junior Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 33
- Thank you received: 4
4 months 3 weeks ago #10066
by all4all
Replied by all4all on topic Live Translation (update: available since 3.37.5)
Thanks Luis for putting effort in to it.
Agree with FOL's remark above.
I have been testing it in different formats. I even make screen capture of the same page and let Google Translate to translate same image. Night and day difference in many sentences. I might be wrong but my strong impression is that apple translate completely misses context and ruins everything. When OCR fails in low res, it just skips translating, treats it as part of image.
If Apple Intelligence allows to use default translate app option -which is general iOS settings-, it would solve a huge problem. Google Translate also works off line.
Curious about your solution.
Thanks again.
Agree with FOL's remark above.
I have been testing it in different formats. I even make screen capture of the same page and let Google Translate to translate same image. Night and day difference in many sentences. I might be wrong but my strong impression is that apple translate completely misses context and ruins everything. When OCR fails in low res, it just skips translating, treats it as part of image.
If Apple Intelligence allows to use default translate app option -which is general iOS settings-, it would solve a huge problem. Google Translate also works off line.
Curious about your solution.
Thanks again.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
4 months 3 weeks ago #10067
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Live Translation (update: available since 3.37.5)
I’ve seen OCR fail in single characters and it ruins the translation, using the text selection tool, which uses a completely different path yields the same results.
But like I said it really depends on the content.
But like I said it really depends on the content.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: all4all
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- all4all
- Offline
- Junior Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 33
- Thank you received: 4
4 months 3 weeks ago #10068
by all4all
Replied by all4all on topic Live Translation (update: available since 3.37.5)
I continue to test. Indeed, it has quite difficulty with number of French BD translations to english, fumettis from italian to english are better and consistent. If subject is known and well written it translates easier.
If i use text selection tool, it sometimes gives different results especially french-english translations.
If i use text selection tool, it sometimes gives different results especially french-english translations.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- all4all
- Offline
- Junior Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 33
- Thank you received: 4
4 months 2 weeks ago #10077
by all4all
Replied by all4all on topic Live Translation (update: available since 3.37.5)
just tested 3.38 Beta. Excellent. modify and see changes within the comics works very well. work flow is also logical . Thanks!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- fol
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 2
- Thank you received: 1
4 months 2 weeks ago #10078
by fol
Replied by fol on topic Live Translation (update: available since 3.37.5)
its possibile download the beta on iPad?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Luis Ángel