Skip to content
YACReader
Help and support for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users.

Syncing & Browsing via USB (lightning)

More
11 years 2 months ago #1715 by quasi
Hello,

I am trying to import comics and sync via an usb connection as browsing via WiFi is slow.

I just installed the app on my iPad and the library app on my Macbook Pro. I made different libraries with sub folders in the library app and would like to import them. The problem is that I only find the option to do it via WiFi. This is taking for ages because of the amount of comics and the connection being cut off (and sometimes I just can't connect, even if I use the Q-code --> very nice feature btw ;) ).

So... I finished doing it by dragging the whole folder through usb into the app docs in iTunes. Now my comics are there but the link does not seem to be there between my 2 libraries. The main problem is that I will be updating regularly the library on my mac.
Does that mean that I will always have to delete all of my comics on my iPad to recopy them via iTunes?

Thank you for your hard work on the apps and your for taking your time responding our issues.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #1716 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Syncing & Browsing via USB (lightning)
Welcome to the forum.

You can only sync back your reading progress to your Mac if the comics are imported using YACReaderLibrary.

The idea is not have a whole library in your iOS device (I only have 3 libraries for all my comics). I import series or volumes, and after reading them, I sync back my progress. You can also remotely read the comics in your Mac without importing them.

How good is your Wi-Fi signal?

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #1721 by quasi
Replied by quasi on topic Syncing & Browsing via USB (lightning)
Hello Luis,

Thank you for your fast reply :)

My WiFi signal is ok as I can download stuff at 1 to 2 MB per second.
My laptop is a macbook pro 13" from this year and my tablet an ipad air 2.

The main idea was to have all the comics I still want to read on my iPad so I can read them where ever I am. The digital comics are on an external hard drive that is not constantly connected to my laptop.

Its would be nice to find a way, even if it is a workaround, to import library items through the lightning cable. I've tried it again several times and the only effective way to have comics on my ipad is to use itunes... but then I can not sync anything... it is a bummer because I choose YACreader above all because it had a library management on the mac os x and reader on os x and ios.

Since apple released control on the lightening, would it be easy to implement this feature? I'm proposing myself to do some beta testing if needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #1723 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Syncing & Browsing via USB (lightning)
Are you sure that Apple has enabled file transfers using USB?

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #1725 by quasi
Replied by quasi on topic Syncing & Browsing via USB (lightning)

Luis Ángel wrote: Are you sure that Apple has enabled file transfers using USB?


I do not know how far this control goes (and I can't find the article back were I read it), but here you have an article about an announcement Apple did during its 2014 MFi Summit in China: 9to5mac > apple mfi summit third party products lightning port new accessories/

Already some apps take advantage from it as astropad and duet display .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #1728 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Syncing & Browsing via USB (lightning)
This is supposed to be only for accessories. You need to join the MFi Program, and I don't think that YACReader is eligible for that..

From time to time I check if USB file transfers become allowed, the answer is always no as far as I know.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: quasi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #1742 by quasi
Replied by quasi on topic Syncing & Browsing via USB (lightning)
ok, but duet screen and astro pad are more than accessory apps as they transform the iPad in a second screen. They actually transform the iPad into an accessory of the Mac.

Maybe thinking the other way around could be easier (or at least a good work-around): "What if the syncing is happening from the YACReader Library on the Mac?" (In stead of the YACReader on the iPad) Then you would have a case as in iMazing , where the app is using the iPad as an external hard drive.

If we push this way, I can tell you that I would prefer to sync my library from my Mac. This can give much more options and usability feathers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #1743 by quasi
Replied by quasi on topic Syncing & Browsing via USB (lightning)
Actually I'm just reading on the iMazing features page that it can be used for syncing music both ways without the use of iTunes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #1746 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Syncing & Browsing via USB (lightning)
I will try again to read about it. One thing is send files to the "Documents" folder, and other is try to establish communication between two processes.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #1751 by quasi
Replied by quasi on topic Syncing & Browsing via USB (lightning)
I understand. That's why I was giving as example Astropad . Where the MacBook is sending the image to be shown to the iPad and the iPad is sending the gestures to the MacBook.

I do not know a lot about it but I will try to find something that could help you a little more. As you can see at my response rate I do not have a lot of time to put in it but I will see what I can do. As they say, maybe I can have some beginners luck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Luis Ángel
Powered by Kunena Forum

Thanks for downloading YACReader!

Your download is starting.

YACReader for iOS and Android

Connect to YACReaderLibrary to browse, read remotely and import comics. Your reading progress is synchronized across devices.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Available at Amazon Appstore

Discover all the features on the iOS and Android pages, and learn how to use them in the iOS and Android user guides.

Support YACReader

YACReader for desktop and server is free to use, but it is not free to develop: maintaining this website, developer programs, code signing certificates, test devices and, of course, all the time it takes. Less than 0.01% of downloads end in a donation, so any amount counts.

By supporting the project you help keep it regularly updated and, most importantly, alive. Thanks!