- Posts: 5
- Thank you received: 1
Help and support for Linux users.
Faking Multi-user Support
- SKarp
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
1 year 3 months ago #9516
by SKarp
Faking Multi-user Support was created by SKarp
I'm new to Docker, so maybe this is obvious to others, but for other newbies, maybe this will be helpful. (Or, if I've set myself up for trouble, I hope a more advanced Docker user can set me straight.
I wanted to set up a configuration where the same library would be visible to both myself and my spouse, but we would have our own reading history. Since YACReader doesn't yet support that natively, I thought I could fake it with Docker. It does require running separate instances of Docker for each user, but I'm okay with that.
The key is to have separate folders that will be used for the users' info. So I created a folder in the library (but it could have been anywhere) called "Users", and in it I created two more folders, "Mine" and "Spouse".
I then set up the Docker instance following the recommended configuration, but I added a third folder: /full/path/to/Users/Mine maps to /comics/.yacreaderlibrary
Once I was sure that was working, I set up a second Docker instance, identical, but using a different port and the third folder mapping was, of course, /full/path/to/Users/Spouse mapping to /comics/.yacreaderlibrary
So far it's working great. But does anyone see a potential problem with this approach?
I wanted to set up a configuration where the same library would be visible to both myself and my spouse, but we would have our own reading history. Since YACReader doesn't yet support that natively, I thought I could fake it with Docker. It does require running separate instances of Docker for each user, but I'm okay with that.
The key is to have separate folders that will be used for the users' info. So I created a folder in the library (but it could have been anywhere) called "Users", and in it I created two more folders, "Mine" and "Spouse".
I then set up the Docker instance following the recommended configuration, but I added a third folder: /full/path/to/Users/Mine maps to /comics/.yacreaderlibrary
Once I was sure that was working, I set up a second Docker instance, identical, but using a different port and the third folder mapping was, of course, /full/path/to/Users/Spouse mapping to /comics/.yacreaderlibrary
So far it's working great. But does anyone see a potential problem with this approach?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
1 year 3 months ago #9517
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Faking Multi-user Support
It should be ok, just keep the content in those custom paths safe.
The only "problem" is that you need to keep two libraries updated, and if you ever want to get the metadata of your collection in order you'll need to do it twice.
Multi-user support would be nice but the amount of work to make it work is massive, I don't know if I'll have to do it.
The only "problem" is that you need to keep two libraries updated, and if you ever want to get the metadata of your collection in order you'll need to do it twice.
Multi-user support would be nice but the amount of work to make it work is massive, I don't know if I'll have to do it.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- SKarp
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 5
- Thank you received: 1
1 year 3 months ago #9518
by SKarp
Replied by SKarp on topic Faking Multi-user Support
Updating the libraries isn't a problem. I've set both Docker instances to do them automatically (via the [libraryConfig] settings in YACReaderLibrary.ini. And yes, I set them to update at different times, so they won't both be scanning the collection simultaneously.
Not sure what you mean by "get the metadata in order". What am I missing?
Not sure what you mean by "get the metadata in order". What am I missing?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Luis Ángel
-
- Offline
- Administrator
-
Less
More
- Posts: 3354
- Thank you received: 692
1 year 3 months ago #9519
by Luis Ángel
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Faking Multi-user Support
If you open your libraries with YACReaderLibrary using a computer you can scrape information or edit it yourself, plot, characters, writer, etc.
You can check how the library app displays it here: www.yacreader.com/47-yacreader-9-0-is-finally-out
The iOS and Android clients also use it when available.
You can check how the library app displays it here: www.yacreader.com/47-yacreader-9-0-is-finally-out
The iOS and Android clients also use it when available.
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- SKarp
- Topic Author
- Offline
- New Member
-
Less
More
- Posts: 5
- Thank you received: 1
1 year 3 months ago #9520
by SKarp
Replied by SKarp on topic Faking Multi-user Support
Oh, I see. Never occurred to me to do that. I spend enough time keeping my music and ebook libraries' metadata up to date; I'm not going to start doing a third media!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Luis Ángel