Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: YACReader for iOS 2.0 beta

YACReader for iOS 2.0 beta 8 years 10 months ago #1449

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

Thank you received: 9

Ok! Here we go again!

I disabled the auto-lock on iPad and tried to import several comics of between 15MB and 50MB, approximately: no issues.

Then, I moved the comic I previously tried to import to a test local library and imported: booom! If the auto-lock is disabled, the App closes itself. If the auto-lock is enabled, the import process stops.

It looks like a matter of file size. The comic has 312MB.

Plus, the storage leak continues.

I do not reinstalled the app again yet. So the initial size of the leak is already huge.

after to import and delete several smaller comics
: 447.84MB for 0 comics

after try and fail to import the big comic book again:
: 436.79MB or 0 comics

after import and delete other several comics
: 320.29 for 0 comics

after to reinstall the app
: 0.09MB for 0 comics

Weird, right?

I thought this could be a reporting issue, but the iOS Settings app reports this usage too.

iPad 2 running iOS 8.3
Window 8.1

May
Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by robson.sobral.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

YACReader for iOS 2.0 beta 8 years 10 months ago #1450

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

@robson:

the behavior you're experiencing is probably a timeout bug. Could you please do some time measurements? Start the import and measure the time it takes till the crash. After that, it would be good if you could repeat the test with the comic or library in question residing on your Windows 8.1 machine and see if it happens there as well and if the time till the crash happens changes.

@all testers:

Please try if you're able to reproduce the bug robson is experiencing. Use the biggest comic you can get your hands on or combine several of them or try to throttle your network speed. We have to get to the root of this problem!
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

YACReader for iOS 2.0 beta 8 years 10 months ago #1451

donncha

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 3

I tried with about 1GB of comics in 5 files. The first time I tried importing the folder by clicking on the import button on it, and the desktop client (Mac) crashed. There was a spinner next to the Wifi signal on the ipad the next time I tried to import that way, but when I checked the library nothing was showing up.

I had to shutdown the app, and restart the import. This time I tried tapping on each file (from 150 to 300 MB each) and that worked. I deleted the folder in the library on the ipad and then tried importing by tapping on the import button on the folder and that worked. There was no indication that an import was going on apart from the import button changing to "importing".

How do I tell how much data an app uses? itunes when synced with a usb cable? I'd like to investigate if the app is releasing space on my ipad too.

Edit: I think I was using the first beta. I've updated and recreating my library now and will retest.
Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by donncha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: selmf

YACReader for iOS 2.0 beta 8 years 10 months ago #1452

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

> Then, I moved the comic I previously tried to import to a test local library and imported: booom!

I tried from my own machine and it crashed too. I going to disable the auto-lock and measure the time.

YACReader for iOS 2.0 beta 8 years 10 months ago #1453

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

@donncha, there's a section on YAC Reader settings reporting the app usage.

On the bottom toolbar, tap settings and then look for the Storage section.

You can also see it on the Settings of the iOS. Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage.
Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by robson.sobral.
The following user(s) said Thank You: donncha

YACReader for iOS 2.0 beta 8 years 10 months ago #1454

donncha

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 3

Thanks Robson,

I deleted that roughly 1GB of comic files and the disk usage went down by a similar amount.

I also deleted a folder with a large number of comics that I had uploaded before trying the beta and the storage used/free changed again.

YACReader for iOS 2.0 beta 8 years 10 months ago #1455

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

@selmf, test done!

It takes 5 minutes to crash the app.

After that, no storage leak was detected.

YACReader for iOS 2.0 beta 8 years 10 months ago #1456

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

@donncha, can you delete all comics and check the space used? I'm comparing all values with 0 comics.

I'm sorry for make you take notes of all your current reading pages.

YACReader for iOS 2.0 beta 8 years 10 months ago #1457

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

So you're getting crashes in both YACReaderLibrary and the iOS app? Not good :ohmy:

Problem is, the amount of testing I can do on my system is very limited since I don't have an IPad. Usually, a crash can be backtraced to it's origin in the source code if you have a debug enabled build. If anyone experiencing this crash with YACReaderLibrary would be willing to run it in a debugger, please let us know. The process may look a bit scary at first, but it's actually quite doable even for beginners.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

YACReader for iOS 2.0 beta 8 years 10 months ago #1458

robson.sobral

Expert Boarder

Oh, no! I'm sorry, @selmf! Just the iOS app is crashing! My intention was to say that I tested with a library on a local folder and one with a mapped network folder on my NAS. In both cases, the app crashes, but the transfer from a remote folder is slower, as expected.