Skip to content
YACReader
Help and support for Linux users.

Official Docker image for YACReaderLibraryServer

More
1 year 6 months ago #9415 by er45be
If I open a comic remotely, I get the last stored reading status.

But remotely (HTTPS) opened comics, don't store their reading status.
Locally (LAN) opened comics do, these changes are picked up by the remote reader...

Is there any logging if a POST request fails?

This discussion goes beyond my knowledge.
I am just looking for a simple/save way to access yacreader remotely.

If you or anybody on the forum knows, please...


Groeten,
Ronald

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Luis Ángel
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 6 months ago #9416 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Official Docker image for YACReaderLibraryServer
I wonder if this could be what’s happening to you:

community.cloudflare.com/t/post-requests...-get-requests/605610

Sadly I don’t have experience with cloudflare.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #9417 by djkazaz

Luis Ángel wrote: The official image is based on the xthursdayx's one I just added full 7zip (to support rar5) and pdf support.

Are you sure you have write permissions from the new container? you can try to do `touch test` from inside the container in the library folder (in /comics from the container perspective) to see if it can actual write.


Hi, thanks for the guidance. it's great that you added 7z support because the xthrusday build always complained about that. I know he had a different buiild available but I never tried it. I'm glad the official image contains everything though. I think the proliferation of NAS devices and OS's like TrueNAS and OMV makes a docker image incredibly useful.

As for write access, it works ok, I tested it. I actually managed to update the libraries, I suspect the issue I had before was due to their large size.

I haven't been able to properly test the create-library command any because they already existed. I will try to crete a test later.

Still no explanation on why I need to stop and restart the container to get it to see the imported libraries, but as long as it works I'm happy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #9418 by er45be
Most likely yes, something like that.
Don't be sad. I went for Cloudflare tunnels, because they should be simple. At least it works for Calibre-Web...

I will try to figure it out.
But on the other side, I am looking at self hosting solutions like Headscale...

I also want to solve the problem that yrls does not have a sign in and fails at standard Cloudflare authentication.

Don't spend to much time on this.
Or you want to provide a method to securely access yrls.

I wonder if any user has accomplished this. And can share his setup. There are so many setups possible. That I got lost. And my solution for now is just try a few... Headscale, Twingate a.o.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #9422 by er45be
Hallo Luis,

I dumped Cloudflare in favour of Tailscale.

I installed it on my Synology NAS.
Made a tailscale account.
Accepted the Synology NAS as device in Tailscale.
Executed tailscale serve:8080 on the NAS to make the yacreaderlibraryserver available on the tailnet.

Installed the tailscale app on my android tablet.
Validated the device in the tailscale dashboard on the web in my dashboard.

Open tailscale app.
You see an op ip adress for the Synology NAS.
Use this in the android app as remote ip with 8080 as port

And everything works: read progress is stored.
And secure access, each device is protected, no ports opened on the NAS, everything stays in the tailnet.

This is what I was looking for.

Improvements are possible in the Tailscale setup. It is limited to 3 users for free use.
It is even possible to replace the commercial Tailscale manager, by a self hosted manager, Headscale.

Tailscale itself is quite safe, it only passes tunnel tokens, no data is passing through.

Groeten,
Ronald
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luis Ángel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 6 days ago #9760 by Mordred
I'm having an issue that I'm not sure is intentional or not. I setup YACReaderLibraryServer this afternoon. Created a library from my massive comics folder.

I bought the iOS app went to Import, connected to the server over my local network. I can now see all the Comics in the app and read them just fine. However, no progress is ever saved.

If I finish an issue, it never gets marked as read. If I start an issue and exit out, it doesn't not show as currently being read or in-progress in anyway. The top area of the Library shows "It looks like you are not reading anything :(" if I'm in a parent folder, and if I'm in a folder with comics it just always shows the first issue.

However, if I Import the file to my iPad all this works fine, just not over the network, and my 32GB iPad doesn't really have enough room to import a TB of comics.

Presumably if I read an issue connected to the YACReaderLibraryServer it should be marked as read on the server yes? Long pressing on server items only has Import, "Import all Starting Here" and "Import all to here" as options. There's no mark as read which I get on files I've actually imported locally.

What could be going wrong here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Luis Ángel
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 months 6 days ago #9761 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Official Docker image for YACReaderLibraryServer
Reading remotely saves the progress automatically.

It could be that the server is receiving the progress but it fails to write it to the database, check this hub.docker.com/r/yacreader/yacreaderlibr...#disk-write-problems

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 6 days ago #9762 by Mordred
Okay, I think I've finally figured this out. Between reading this and the other thread I realized that my PUID and PGIDs were probably not setup correctly. However, on a Windows machine, getting PUIDs and PGIDs that made sense wasn't simple. I tried everything from using my Windows PUID/PGID to one from WSL/Docker and I created, removed, deleted and then recreated the same library dozens of times, each time after restarting the container getting the same:
Code:
> STATUS: "WARNING! DB read access: YES, DB write access: NO, can write to disk: NO"

I tried adding full permissions from in Windows and that didn't work. I followed the advice to try writing from inside the docker container using:
Code:
docker exec yacreader-library-server touch /Comics/test-write.txt

And that naturally worked fine which made no sense. It was finally doing an ls -al inside the container that made me realize I could just update permissions that way and stop worrying about the PUID/PGID altogether.

From inside a WSL terminal I did:
Code:
docker exec yacreader-library-server chmod 666 /Comics/.yacreaderlibrary/library.ydb docker exec yacreader-library-server chmod 777 /Comics/.yacreaderlibrary

Then brought did a docker-compose up and voila:
Code:
"Comics [1, d2736048-8df2-453b-8120-3806558b862a, /Comics]" INFO 2025-11-30T10:52:47.029 > STATUS: "OK"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Luis Ángel
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 months 6 days ago #9763 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic Official Docker image for YACReaderLibraryServer
Oh yeah, I forgot I added those status checks. Anyway, thanks for sharing what you did for fixing it.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 1 day ago #10006 by asgibert
Hello,
it seems I'm not the only one with problems with cloudflare.
The strange thing is that until now it worked without problems, but a few days ago when I tried to export from my iPad it wouldn't let me in, it asks for YACReaderLibrary 9.8.1 or higher and the version of my container is YACReaderLibraryServer 9.16.3, which I understand is the latest one available.
However, if I do it in local mode I have no problem and I can enjoy my comics.
I have also verified that if I use a website, with the cloudflare tunnel, I can consult my library without problems. It only fails when using the Yacreader reader installed on my iPad or iPhone.

Antoni

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Luis Ángel
Powered by Kunena Forum

Thanks for downloading YACReader!

Your download is starting.

YACReader for iOS and Android

Connect to YACReaderLibrary to browse, read remotely and import comics. Your reading progress is synchronized across devices.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Available at Amazon Appstore

Discover all the features on the iOS and Android pages, and learn how to use them in the iOS and Android user guides.

Support YACReader

YACReader for desktop and server is free to use, but it is not free to develop: maintaining this website, developer programs, code signing certificates, test devices and, of course, all the time it takes. Less than 0.01% of downloads end in a donation, so any amount counts.

By supporting the project you help keep it regularly updated and, most importantly, alive. Thanks!