Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: YACReader beta 8.0

YACReader beta 8.0 9 years 2 weeks ago #1261

Luis Ángel

Administrator

Thank you received: 544

The iOS beta should be ready soon, so the integration would work again.

Do you have your graphic drivers updated? Let me know if updating them fixes issue #2
Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The administrator has disabled public write access.

YACReader beta 8.0 9 years 2 weeks ago #1262

Drybonz

Expert Boarder

Thank you received: 3

Hey Luis... I was wondering if that iOS beta version will show up in the Apple store, or if you are distributing the ipa here when it's ready?
Last Edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Drybonz.

YACReader beta 8.0 9 years 2 weeks ago #1263

Zeljko

Fresh Boarder

I'm looking for Android version :)

YACReader beta 8.0 9 years 2 weeks ago #1264

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

The iOS version isn't portable. We're steadily increasing the portability of the desktop version, but for Android (and Windows Phone and whatever niche phone/tablet os) it will need remote reading support and a touch-enabled interface, which more or less means a complete rewrite of the interface. The Qt toolkit we're using has some interesting features related to this, so it definitely is doable, but we're not just talking about writing three lines of code and it'll work, we're talking about replacing the entire interface, so it's hard to tell when if ever Luis or I will find the time to work on this.
However, afaik touch support and mobile versions *are* on Luis 'nice-to-have' list, so it probably will happen once more pressing tasks are done. We really could use someone who's good at this stuff and knows OpenGL...
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

YACReader beta 8.0 9 years 2 weeks ago #1265

Zeljko

Fresh Boarder

Thx for the answer and your work on the app. I've exchanged few emails with Luis about Android support and I'm aware of the problem. I'm not pushing you or demanding. It was just my wish :)

YACReader beta 8.0 9 years 2 weeks ago #1266

Luis Ángel

Administrator

I have to say that I prefer native development over Qt in mobile devices. I am not sure if porting the current desktop version will really imply less work than starting from scratch.

My experience with the iOS version is that designing the UI/UX and implementing it takes almost all the time.

I have some experience with Android, so having an Android version is doable, but it is a matter of time. YACReader is a side project and sadly I can not make a living out of it, so I have to develop it after work in my free time. Even the terrific job that selmf is doing helping me is not enough for targeting more platforms.

It is also my wish Zeljko ;) let's see what the future brings
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zeljko

YACReader beta 8.0 9 years 2 weeks ago #1267

Zeljko

Fresh Boarder

I don't know do you have integration between desktop and mobile app. For example, start reading on one device and continue on another. Actually you can implement that between apps (desktop, laptop, tablet, watch? :)) That would be cool feature to pay for, if you start selling app on mobile market.
You can achieve that by adding cloud support (very popular these days) to sync bookmarks, progress, even comics. Should not be very difficult to implement.

Yeah sadly statistic is really bad, over 250k downloads and only 104 donors (proud to be one of them, twice I think :)). If everyone donate just one dollar... you wouldn't be reach or even earn enough for living but they will show respect to you.

Are you selling your app on iTunes? If not, you should. The same for Google play. Million downloads with one dollar price... I wish my percentage for the idea :D

YACReader beta 8.0 9 years 2 weeks ago #1268

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

Thanks for donating Zeljko, and thanks for the warm words Luis ;)

Well, we can't do much more than asking for donations for open source apps. YAC* for iOS is a native closed source rewrite, so you're actually paying for the smooth, native integration (I guess ;) ).

I actually have no idea how much work porting the desktop version would imply. It's just that every added native version means one more codebase that needs maintaining. Qt would at least imply some degree of touch support on every plattform without reinventing the wheel each time. On the other hand, we do have had our fair share of bad experiences with Qt on mac, so...

For now, I'm pretty well occupied working on the linux version and doing backend cleanup, so I've no time for interface experiments...
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zeljko

YACReader beta 8.0 9 years 2 weeks ago #1270

Luis Ángel

Administrator

selmf wrote:
...(I guess ;))...

you doubt me..... oh, my poor heart :'(

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Zeljko, I am only selling the iOS version...You can read in the iOS app remotely, so all the reading progress is kept in the server. Reading sync based on cloud is in my huge list of things to do :)

YACReader beta 8.0 9 years 2 weeks ago #1271

Zeljko

Fresh Boarder

So make and start selling Android app with reasonable price ;)