Skip to content
YACReader

YACReader beta 8.0

More
11 years 4 months ago #1483 by selmf
Replied by selmf on topic YACReader beta 8.0
Thank you very much for doing this test Xukkorz. I ran some tests on my own machine and it looks like we're having a thread leak in YACReader. I am not sure if this is what is causing your overheating problems, since the bug is also present in version 7.2, but it is definitely an ugly bug that needs fixing. To see if it is connected with your heat problems, could you please run these tests?

1. Open YACReader without YACReaderLibrary running
2. Check the amount of CPU usage and the number of threads without a loaded comic
3. Open a comic in YACReader and do the same check
4. Open another comic either by scrolling into the next comic or manually
5. Also do the CPU and thread count check

It is important that you give YACReader a little time to complete the load of the comic in the background, or the compression backend will screw with your results.

@Luis:

On my machine, YACReader leaks approximately one thread per comic opened. The bug is also present in YACReaderLibrary if you use remote reading.

My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #1484 by robson.sobral
Replied by robson.sobral on topic YACReader beta 8.0
Jut to make sure, because this bug is annoying for me too, I tested to import the same comics on the previous version of YAC Reader. Any issues! Two comics with over 300MB imported in a row just fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #1485 by robson.sobral
Replied by robson.sobral on topic YACReader beta 8.0
# investigating the storage leak

## device

iPad 2 running iOS8.3

## how to reproduce

- import some comics;
- delete all of them;
- take note of the storage used for 0 comics.

## Results

I started with the version currently available on AppStore. Importing and deleting several comics.

Storage used for 0 comics:

- 0.22MB;
- 0.40MB;
- 0.58MB;
- 0.79MB;

Then I imported some comics again, updated the app to the beta version and repeated the process:

- 0.09MB;
- 0.34MB;
- 0.40MB;

The leak slowly increases. My guess is that the cover thumbnails aren't being deleted. Or is there some log file I don't know about?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #1486 by Xukkorz
Replied by Xukkorz on topic YACReader beta 8.0
@selmf:

I tried to load yacreader stand alone and it does not have the same issues. I do seem to be getting the same thread leaking. I tried closing both out and loading yacreaderlibrary and then opening a comic and as soon as I do it kicks the cpu up to 100 percent like the last image. It only seems to happen when opening it from the library itself. I opened both programs at the same time from the apps folder and was able to open a comic in yacreader with out the cpu kicking into over drive.


No comic loaded
CPU: 2.7
Threads: 10

First comic Loaded
CPU:8.4
Threads: 13
Second
CPU:13
Threads:13
Third
CPU:12
Threads:14
Fourth
CPU:20
Threads:15
Fifth
CPU:21
Threads:16

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #1490 by robson.sobral
Replied by robson.sobral on topic YACReader beta 8.0
Hi!

The covers on grid view don't load if the library is on a network mapped folder.

Library installed on Windows 8.1.

Folder on a Synology NAS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Luis Ángel
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #1492 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic YACReader beta 8.0
@Robson The bug in the grid views covers is already fixed, please, testing on the next beta release.

@Xukkorz, thank you very much for the testing. I think that I have found the code that is leaking threads, I have to do some testing to verify it.

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Luis Ángel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robson.sobral

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #1501 by Qulox
Replied by Qulox on topic YACReader beta 8.0
Even though I use the YACReader almost daily I noticed just a while ago that the minimize (by pressing Win+D key) to desktop error and the inability to use media keys was fixed with this beta2. Thank you! (Kind of late but...) :ok:

I was checking the library in fullscreen and V-Sync doesn't seems to work, there is a lot of tearing. I closed the library between applying the changes.

Also, on library options in the performance section shouldn't the slider be called "Lower quality" and "Higher quality"? because as is now its not very clear what it means: If my computer has higher performance or if it will lower quality to improve library performance. I actually had to test it to see what it did.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Qulox.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Luis Ángel
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 4 months ago #1502 by Luis Ángel
Replied by Luis Ángel on topic YACReader beta 8.0
@Qulox, the V-Sync is going to be enabled in the new beta 3, and the check for enable/disabling it will not take effect. This is a workaround, but I can't expend more time in this issue.

You are completely right about the "lower/higher quality" labels, you are not the first telling me this, but I always forget to change it.

BTW, another Sunday another beta :)

Contribute to the project becoming a patron: www.patreon.com/yacreader
You can also donate via Pay-Pal: www.paypal.com/donate?business=5TAMNQCDD...e=Support+YACReader\
The following user(s) said Thank You: Qulox

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #1503 by Qulox
Replied by Qulox on topic YACReader beta 8.0
@Luis, Nice, new beta :). V-Sync is not really a problem, I almost never use list mode on fullscreen, I was mostly fiddling around with the settings.

I just tried beta3 now and didn't have any problem with opening my libraries or deleting AppData folder and recreating it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #1507 by Drybonz
Replied by Drybonz on topic YACReader beta 8.0
Hey guys... I'm not sure how much help my input will be on the recent betas because I don't import books typically. I have been trying it out and everything seems fine, but I don't have previous experience with which to compare. Hopefully, I will be more useful as we test remote library features.

Everything seems fine, though... I am just trying out the new beta 3 desktop. I'm guessing the vsync issues were with the screen that shows the new comics being added? I did notice some screen tearing there in the previous version.

*edit* Screen tearing seems to be fixed... thank you.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Drybonz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Luis Ángel
Powered by Kunena Forum

Thanks for downloading YACReader!

Your download is starting.

YACReader for iOS and Android

Connect to YACReaderLibrary to browse, read remotely and import comics. Your reading progress is synchronized across devices.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Available at Amazon Appstore

Discover all the features on the iOS and Android pages, and learn how to use them in the iOS and Android user guides.

Support YACReader

YACReader for desktop and server is free to use, but it is not free to develop: maintaining this website, developer programs, code signing certificates, test devices and, of course, all the time it takes. Less than 0.01% of downloads end in a donation, so any amount counts.

By supporting the project you help keep it regularly updated and, most importantly, alive. Thanks!