Welcome to the forum, Guest

TOPIC: YACReader beta 8.0

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1511

selmf

Developer

Thank you received: 135

A week gone by since the last beta and no new bug reports :)

Xukkorz, we have fixed the threading leak, so it would be good if you could do another test run. I'm not 100% sure if the fix is already in beta3, but Luis will surely gladly make it available for you if it isn't.
In case this doesn't fix the problem, I have thought of 1-2 more tests related to the synchronisation between the reader and the library part, but these will require launching YACReader from the systems commandline.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1512

Xukkorz

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 2

@selmf

Well I'm not leaking threads anymore, at least no problems when yacreader is launched stand alone, its sticking around 11 threads baseline jumping when switching comics but dropping back down. Launching comics from the library also seems to not be leaking threads but again the CPU usage is off the charts, just like it was before. I think it has to be something to do with the synchronization because it is not affected when I just launch it stand alone. I'm good with command line I would just need to know what to type.

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1513

selmf

Developer

Try this:

"YACReader comicfile"

Substitute comicfile with a real comic, you can also add a path. This will open the comic directly at startup, the sync mechanism uses an extended version of this syntax internally.

I have also had a closer look at the code responsible for the sync, and there weren't any changes since the last stable version of YACReader. Also, this code performs very reliable on Windows and Linux, no sign of cpu overuse. This is increasingly starting to look like a regression in Qt.
My answers are not necessarily official YACReader statements but mostly represent my own opinion in technical matters.

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1514

Xukkorz

Fresh Boarder

Ran that and it caused it to run at super high cpu usage like when launching from the library.

Heres the console output from that.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Here it is just launching it with out a file.
The following user(s) said Thank You: selmf

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1515

selmf

Developer

Ok, we're finally making some progress. I'm still not sure what actually is causing this, but it's not the synchronisation code. The errors look a bit scary, but are not the actual cause of the problem (they are related to the software rendering and missing OpenSSL functionality on OS X and mostly harmless).

I'm suspecting this error is happening very early on the program start, even before attempting to open a comic. To prove my suspicions, could you launch YACReader once more from the commandline, but instead of using a valid filename use a deliberately false one? This will, of course, cause YACReader to fail loading the comic. What I'm interested in is if the 100% CPU error occurs in this "mode" too, especially when the error message "comic not found" is shown and on the normal YACReader surface later.

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1516

Xukkorz

Fresh Boarder

With bad file path no major cpu usage during the "comic not found" message. Normal usage as when opening a comic from with in the program, or double clicking in finder.

Console output

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1517

ST

Fresh Boarder

Thank you received: 1

I have found a little bug under mac osX with the beta 3.
If the files compressed are in the a folder called jpg inside the cbr archive yacreader gallery crash if you try to update. Yacreader can´t read that comic either.

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1521

Xukkorz

Fresh Boarder

So funny thing happened. My YACReader started to open in a full screen mode that was infuriating because when I exited it it wouldn't show the icons at the top. I figured deleting the library files would clear any settings, which it did, but it also solved my CPU issue. I saved the files, but the cpu usage stopped, so thats something. I'm not sure if the ini files ect are helpful but I have them if anyone wants them.

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1522

selmf

Developer

Thanks for keeping us updated Xukkorz. I'm glad you found a workaround for your problem (I was running out of things to test ...). The files could be useful for Luis when he runs his next series of OS X tests (he's a bit busy with non-YACReader life right now), so please keep 'em ready. By the way, you can exit the fullscreen mode by pressing "F" and you can enable/disable the icons by pressing "H" in YACReader. Even if we didn't quite tackle your CPU problem we found a serious leakage bug thanks to the tests you ran, so I'd like to thank you for that and your patience. :)

@ST: I can confirm that this bug exists. It's probably related to the filtering system we use when processing the comic files, but I have yet to find the exact cause of it...

YACReader beta 8.0 8 years 10 months ago #1523

selmf

Developer

Ok, found the bug. The directory name somehow slips into our list of filenames and because it matches our filter for picture files, the Reader and the Library take it for a picture file, which causes the errors. YACReader actually loads the file fine, but since the "first page" is the directory, it will load forever. You can still browse the rest of the comic though ;)

An easy fix is to extend the filename filter from "extension" to ".extension", but that doesn't fix the whole issue. It would reappear when using ".extension" as a directory name. We will have to think of a reliable test to eleminate this problem for good.